Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased a 2018, Elite Nav 150hp turbo hatchback. Interior and exterior is immaculate, it has 70,000kms on the clock.

The finance price I settled on was €14,000 which I thought was pretty good at the time for the spec I got. I love it. I'm looking on the same dealers site I got it from and, there are 2017 models with 100ps and far lower spec going for over 15k. I'm guessing due to chip shortages and whatnot. Now, I've only gone 1 year through my finance agreement and its still 3 months under warranty.

Is there anything I can do? Since I saw my car being valued at over 15k now, is there any way I could go back to switch my car for another one? I got excited when I heard the car is now worth more which is highly unusual, I was wondering if there are some 200IQ moves that can be played at this point.

Would appreciate any feedback, thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
All used cars have gone up in price, retail values and part exchange values have gone up also. So if you want to buy another one, it wouldn't be any cheaper to buy used if you were to downgrade or buy an older car.
Could you buy yourself out of the finance by selling the car early? I don't have much clue these days when it comes to finance really.
The retail value of my car has gone up by 40% since I've bought it, but in real terms it's made little difference. Unless I was to sell it and get the bus:ROFLMAO:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
You can find out what the repayment amount of your loan is ( you should save interest if normal car loan) and have a think if you can find the funds to bridge in between repaying your loan and getting the funds for the car.

Some jurisdictions (US and DE) would allow for you to settle the loan upon sale or transfer the loan to someone else but not sure what the rules are in Ireland. For me it would be too much effort but people do it

Then the big question is - do you have alternative transport and something better to do with the money as above; if yes then Id think about it. Do you need a car? Can you save money on insurance petrol for some years and instead pay off your house quicker or pay off all debt you have?

I will be facing similar choice soon - and the way I would approach it is with caution as sometimes finance contracts can come with extra fees and could limit your €€€ upside - so when I call them I will ask them to get written confirmation on TOTAL LOAN REPAYMENT PLUS ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES and take a decision this way.

Let us know what you decided and if you faced challenges with finance or when selling
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top