Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long after I picked the car up in November I parked in a shopping centre car park, and the car wouldn't lock off the key. Eventually I got it to lock, but I can't remember how (I might have got back in and used the lock switch inside to lock and unlock it and then the key worked.)

It's been fine since, and I'd forgotten about it until tonight. I parked the car outside the house and it wouldn't lock on the key. I turned the ignition on and off and still no joy. I got the spare key, still wouldn't lock. I then used the app to lock it, and that worked. Once it had locked this way the key would then unlock and lock it again.

Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It happened 2-3 times to me also. When ı seperate igniton key than boNd it again it works

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sebati said:
It happened 2-3 times to me also. When ı seperate igniton key than boNd it again it works
It happened again today, I'm not sure what you mean by "seperate ignition key then bond it again" Sebati?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I mean seperate metal key part from the plastic part. Than unify these two parts again. I think that move creates a restart effect for key.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks. I didn't know they could easily be separated, I'll have a look at that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's funny you say this. I had this happen to me yesterday.

It happened to me once around Christmas time. As I was walking away from the car having given up the car mysteriously locked. Went back to it and tested and it was fine.

Same thing again happened earlier at work last week.

Then again yesterday. Yesterday I had no joy at all and had to lock it via OnStar app. It then worked as normal.

Not entirely sure of the cause myself but first time I've seen it mentioned.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I tried using the switch inside the door, it locked and unlocked on that but still wouldn't lock on the key. tried using the app and that decided it couldn't connect to the internet (although the phone was showing a signal). I kept trying the button on the key and it finally locked, and then worked fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Spoke to some technicians at work and they say it may be me (Or us) overloading the central locking system. It has a 'cool down' period if you press it too much within a certain time frame. It counts the key and internal lock. Initial cool down is 30 seconds but this extends if you keep pressing it whilst in the cool down period.

In my instance I unlocked car from inside button, got out, locked it, went away into house, came back 30 seconds later and unlocked for stuff in boot, locked again and it was on this second lock that it stopped working. I pressed the 'unlock' and 'lock' buttons twice on each occasion. It was locking from inside, ignition working all fine but central locking on main key and spare not working.

So that's what it might be.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, first time I'd driven from Nottingham centre to Ikea (4 or 5 miles?), got out of car and tried to lock it. Second time drove home from work (12 miles?), got out of car, tried to lock it. Third time drove from home into King's Lynn (10 miles?), got out of car, tried to lock it. I don't lock the doors while I'm driving so the car had been unlocked when I got in, and then tried to lock some 20 or so minutes later.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It happened again today. Parked the car, got out, closed door and it wouldn't lock. Got back in and used the switch inside which worked fine. Got back out, still wouldn't lock from the remote button. Back in, start car, stop it. Get out, still no joy. I went to get a ticket leaving the car unlocked, came back, put the ticket in the car and it then locked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts