Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my Carbon Flash 1.6 Astra for 3 weeks now and have had two issues with it so far, one of which hasn't been resolved and Evan's Halshaw seem to be trying to fobb me off. I just want my fellow owners to either confirm this is a real issue or put my mind at ease before I start getting more serious with them.

When I first picked up the car I noticed that when I braked the car seemed to judder quite a bit, I thought nothing of it at first as it wasn't too bad. Over the next few weeks of driving the car I noticed that the juddering when braking started to get worse and I then started noticing that the car started creaking when I was setting off and braking...Time to book it into the dealers I thought.

I managed to get the car into Evans Halshaw on Tuesday this week and when I called to arrange it the guy on the phone told me that a creaking car is "Normal" and then told me he was "No mechanic" in the same breathe. Now I've had 3 new VXs over the last 7 years and never have I had one creak from being new so I wasn't satisfied from the start of booking it in, I told them that I wanted the creaking and the brakes looking into anyway.

So they keep the car until Wednesday afternoon and I get a call at 17:00 advising me that the car is ready to collect and that the issues were down to the brake disks and pads which had been installed warped and because of this had been replaced under warranty. I then go to pick the car up and am told that both issues were down to the brakes, great I though, the car should be working fine.....Not quite.

As soon as I got in the car I could tell that the brakes had been sorted and no more juddering, so far so good. Until I'm about half way home and the creaking begins, I stopped at some traffic lights and braking caused the car to creak and then when the lights turned green...more creaking.

Now if the noise was only slight and I could just listen to music to hide it then I wouldn't care at all but even when the radio volume is about 1/4 of the way up I can hear the creaking and it sounds like it's coming from the chassis underneath where I'm sitting. The noise definitely wasn't there the first week of the owning the car as these things drive me crazy.

Can any of you guys hear and creaking in your Astra's when you're at low speeds, pulling away and setting off ect. I just want to know if this is something that all new Astra's do and if not it reinforces the fact that my car is sounding like a rickety old taxi 3 weeks into it being new.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks oldskool, it's funny because I have the exact same model as yourself and the garage tell me that "This is normal". I've emailed Evans Halshaw asking them to look into the issue and that I won't be satisfied until the noise is gone.

G

·
My Corsa D has a creaking in the A pillar which a Vx Dealer with a body shop put down to a wearing of the grease between the metal panels. It was hard to determine where it was coming from at first but its most noticeable when setting off/slowing down or when there's any stress on it. It didnt develop until after a few years though so it's probably not anything like that but maybe something to think about if they're stuck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Und3adShr3d said:
Thanks oldskool, it's funny because I have the exact same model as yourself and the garage tell me that "This is normal". I've emailed Evans Halshaw asking them to look into the issue and that I won't be satisfied until the noise is gone.
nooe not a peep from mine - could expect some noise really as the electronic handbrake has to determine when to release etc i guess from forwards torque but cant say theres any noise at all to correspond with your description - good luck with it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the usual noises like the e-brake sounds ect but this sounds like two pieces of metal rubbing together, that's the best way I can describe it. It's so loud that you can hear it outside the car and over the music too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have only ever heard of this kind of issue once before on a friends fiat Stelio
It appeared a couple of weeks after picking the car up and would make a loud cracking noise when hitting pot holes or uneven roads... It turned out to be an incurable dry spot weld on the chassis...car was eventually replaced...hope you get yours sorted

·
Registered
29 Posts
Und3adShr3d said:
I have an Astra 'K' 1.6 CDTi (136PS) and do not suffer with any creaking at any point. I really do hope you get Evans Halshaw to sort the problem. It may be an idea to take a service person or mechanic on a short drive with you and let them hear it for themselves.

oldskool said:
...the electronic handbrake has to determine when to release etc i guess from forwards torque but cant say...
Try this with Electronic Brake (EB) applied:

Lift clutch slowly (no accelerator) and apply some torque to wheels = EB will not release;
Lift clutch slowly and apply some torque to wheels (EB will still be applied) and then touch accelerator = EB releases.

The manual does say that the EB is released when you touch the accelerator and you can try this yourself. (Other than after engine start.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
No, I've not noticed any creaking at all on my SRi 1.4 Nav (petrol).

Sounds like a tricky problem to get sorted - perhaps try a different dealer to get a second opinion?

Hope you get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If, as you say, the noise is loud enough to be heard outside the car, then even EH should be able to find the cause.
I would strongly suggest that you insist that a tech or the service manager accompany you on a drive, and also get someone to record it on your mobile phone to back up your case.

Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Advice :)

I had a call today from the Service Manager at EH and he told me to bring the car in whenever I wanted and ask for him, that way he could get one of his guys to go out on a ride with me to listen to the noise. I'm going to call in this weekend when I have time and get them to have a listen.

Hopefully this will make it easier for them to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Why are you talking it to evens halshaw?
I'd take it to Vauxhall,that's who's you've got the warranty with.
Saying that,Vauxhall are pretty crap aswell.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
AdieMcc said:
Why are you talking it to evens halshaw?
I'd take it to Vauxhall,that's who's you've got the warranty with.
Saying that,Vauxhall are pretty crap aswell.
In UK law Evans Halshaw are responsible as the supplier of the vehicle. That's who the purchaser's contract is with, not Vauxhall. If EH don't do anything it may be worth trying VX customer service, but if the OP needs to start threatening legal action to get it sorted then it's the dealer (and or finance provider if applicable) not the manufacturer who is liable. Personally I think this is somewhere the law falls down, as to my mind both should be liable, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I got my Astra K 1.4T 150 from evens halshaw aswell. They wanted £20 less to do the first service so I went to Vauxhall (£150). If I have any problems I would of thought Vauxhall would have a better understanding about the car. I see what your saying about evans halshaw being liable because you bought it from there. I'd still go to Vauxhall though.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi i have had the same fault and the agents for Vauxhall say that it is the ANTI ROLL BAR LINK (BUSH) but they cannot obtain one from Vauxhall so i have been onto Vauxhall head office and they say that they will try to obtain one but being a new model there are not a lot of spares about. NOT GOOD VAUXHALL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts