Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

new here. I recently purchased a 1.4T 150PS Sri, 2018 with 32K on clock. Full service history and HPI checked.

I’m not sure if I am maybe driving it wrong. At 30mph I am in 4th gear. I put my foot down (not to the floor but enough for it to pick up) and it chugs. The RPM is around 1.5K I believe.

now, I have just got rid of a 1.4T 150PS corsa black edition. 2017 with 32K.

I presume these are the same engines? I could quite happily put my foot down in 4th gear and it would pick up fine.
I’m thinking the Astra is a heavier car so maybe that has something to do with it? At what RPM is considered lugging on this model Astra?

tips on how you guys drive your car is appreciated. What RPM do you generally cruse on?
How would I know if the car is suffering LSPI?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum,
You shouldn't be putting your foot down from 30mph in 4rth, try 3rd or 2nd. Try not to change up under 2k, even then don't put your foot down hard, let your gears do the work. If you want to drive fast, change up at least at 3k within any gear or higher :ROFLMAO: If it misfires whilst you are driving it normally then there's something wrong with the engine. I own an auto with the same engine, it's never misfired for me under normal driving conditions within 18 months of ownership. Apart from 2 days ago when the dealers accidently fitted a cracked spark plug:ROFLMAO:I never want to experience a misfire again within my engine

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah, as Boro' says. DO NOT let this engine lug otherwise you could be opening up a massive can of worms. I used to let my old 1400 ST rev a little higher than I usually would through the gears to try to avoid the dreaded LSPI occurring which can lead to holed pistons etc and £1000's for a replacement motor.

I ended up buying a 1600 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.
I have noticed that in gears 1-3, I can ease onto the throttle with little problem, the car picks up at lower revs with no issue at all.
as soon as I get to 4th gear.It cruises nice at 30mph. Once the car drops to 28mph, the juddering starts.
Not sure if this is a characteristic or an issue? I picked up the car on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Thanks both.
I have noticed that in gears 1-3, I can ease onto the throttle with little problem, the car picks up at lower revs with no issue at all.
as soon as I get to 4th gear.It cruises nice at 30mph. Once the car drops to 28mph, the juddering starts.
Not sure if this is a characteristic or an issue? I picked up the car on Monday.
Avoid letting your car drop in fourth at those sorts of speeds, very bad for the engine. I have an auto, 6 speed, where yours is 6. Mine will pull OK from 4th at 30, but it would automatically gear up when I try to do so. Just learn to use your gears & not lug the car at low speeds, as this could cause your engine costly damage. With your car at 30, I'd leave it in 3rd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Boro. My car is 6 speed Manual, not 5.
surely Vauxhall should not programme the car to tell me to go up a gear if it is going to cause damage to the engine?
loving the car but somehow feeling like I may have bought a bit of a dodge one. I got it through Vx used approved. Do you have any knowledge of how stringent the approved car tests are?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Thanks Boro. My car is 6 speed Manual, not 5.
surely Vauxhall should not programme the car to tell me to go up a gear if it is going to cause damage to the engine?
loving the car but somehow feeling like I may have bought a bit of a dodge one. I got it through Vx used approved. Do you have any knowledge of how stringent the approved car tests are?
You are right about the 6 speed box, my mistake.
I've owned my 1.4t for 18 months & it's on an 18 plate, my engine has been an absolute pleasure, good on fuel, economical, fast enough for me. Regarding long term reliability of your engine, hard to say, as on forums you tend to hear most about the failures, seems to be fairly common with this engine, certainly with the manual box & with pre 18 plate engines. Do you have a years warranty with it? I'd certainly recommend anyone that owns this engine to take out an extended warranty on it, preferably the vaux approved one, if so keep it serviced with vaux, too. As I have & made a couple of successful none engine related claims on it, so far under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a years warranty but people saying you can wipe your ass with it?
would It be reasonable to expect it drive completely different to my corsa with the same engine, gear box and PS?
Also I think the dealer has had me a bit. Told me the service was done in April at 31,726 miles. I’m not on 31,890 and the oil life is at 69% that is surely not right?
dealer told me that it is not just based on mileage but how often the engine is turned on. But even so, 31% in less than 200 miles?? No chance?

had a really shitty day at work, was late for my appointment and needed a car quickly for work. Didn’t notice any of this when I test drove it but likely due to stress and excitement!

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
would It be reasonable to expect it drive completely different to my corsa with the same engine, gear box and PS?
Also I think the dealer has had me a bit. Told me the service was done in April at 31,726 miles. I’m not on 31,890 and the oil life is at 69% that is surely not right?
dealer told me that it is not just based on mileage but how often the engine is turned on. But even so, 31% in less than 200 miles?? No chance?

had a really shitty day at work, was late for my appointment and needed a car quickly for work. Didn’t notice any of this when I test drove it but likely due to stress and excitement!
If it's a dealer warranty, then it should cover your engine for the next year, so try not to worry about that, if you still have your car a year from now, then I'd recommend that you extend it again. Keep it serviced with vauxhall, too, cost you a bit more, but would protect you with regards to future warranty claims. Just drive it as we've recommended you to do.
Yes it's correct about your oil life, as it was serviced back in April, you are 4 months on, irrelevant to how many miles it's covered. You would generally need to service it yearly, even if you've only covered 100 miles over that year.
I don't think the Corsa 1.4t had the same engine as yours, but I may stand corrected. Not forgetting the Corsa is a lighter car, too.
As I've said earlier most engine failures reported on here have been with pre 18 plate engines, very few so far with 18 plate or newer engines. There was an ECU update performed by vauxhall within 2018 to this engine to prevent lspi damage, which has seemed to have helped. I've personally not experienced any lspi related issues with my 2018 1.4t, so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Boro.
from what you have said, I’m hoping I need to get used to the car.
The warranty is outsourced to Autotrust. No underwritten by Vx directly.
The clause states:
Engine – Camshaft, camshaft followers, camshaft pulleys, conrods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder bores, cylinder head, cylinder head gasket, flywheel, gudgeon pins, oil pump, pistons and rings, push rods, rocker assembly, starter ring gear, tappet gear, tensioners, timing belts, timing chains, timing gears, valves and guides.
You are not covered for burnt out, lacquered or pitted valves.
I guess this does not write off LSPI?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

Yes expect the corsa 1.4t to drive differently to a Astra 1.4t. Corsa being a smaller car will feel nippier .different gear ratios etc.
ive driven both and the corsa feels more a compact car compared to a family hatch. That oil life seems a bit iffy - check when service was really done.You probably feel after trading in your corsa you’ve been had by dealer , we’ve all made mistakes with car choices - I certainly have in the past .
Persevere with the car and as above have said drive it with more revs. Unfortunately the 1.6t would have probably been your best move to in the Astra , it doesn’t need huge revs as has quite a bit of low down torque .

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Every 3.65 days it will drop by 1% even if the car stays stationary with no engine starts. I had my car serviced back in March and it is at 56% oil life remaining. If you do the maths from let's say 5th of April to 5th August, approx 120 days, devide by 3.65 gets you approximately 32% used oil life.
As others say don't lug the engine and ignore the gear change indicator, let the engine tell you it is comfortable.

·
Registered
2018 White 1.6t Elite
17 Posts
@Jcd1295 hope your car is ok little worrying when you don't know what's going on.

I've just purchased a 2018 1.6t with 30k on the clock absolutely love it... I have just taken out a warranty with motor easy for peace of mind and it seems to co er almost everything... It's a little pricey per month for the full package but rather have the peace of mind.

Enjoy your new motor and hope your car is all good 😊

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks both.
I have a 1.4T 68 plate Elite. Mine doesn't do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all. Very helpful. I’m waiting on a call back from my dealer.
also, when the car is stationary and in neutral, the rpm stays stable.
if I dip the clutch and then release it again (without putting it in gear) the rpm jumps slightly, and from time to time, up to nearly 1k rpm. Does this sound normal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts