Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an Elite 150t on order for a lease. I have got the VIN but no reg. Car is due to come from Greenhous Telford I think. I think it was built in Germany is that right? The sales bumph makes a big deal of being British built.
VIN is
WOLBE6EC2G80?????.

thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ours is G8 in the vin and means uk built. Also an Elite 1.4 turbo so don't know if trim level decides where it's built. Could be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That will be a British car, the G means it's a 2016 model year car, and the 8 after it means Ellesmere Port. If It was a G followed by another G it would come from the other plant, Gliwice in Poland.

Vauxhall have quietly dropped the Made In Britain bit from it's publicity as a lot of cars for the UK market are coming from Poland. I believe all Astra Sports Tourers will be built in the UK though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's understandable to promote certain countries where cars are built but it is often misleading.
Volvo for example with their V40 range use the phrase "Built in Sweden, made for Britain". Now the fact are that the V40 model is made in Belgium. I raised this with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) who rejected my complaint that the ad was misleading stating that people buying the car would be aware that they were not made in Sweden but as they were designed there and some components made there then that was ok.
I certainly did not agree with their ruling and did ask the ASA who funds them, is it the ad companies, manufacturers, who?
I failed to get a response. If I can find their decision on the ad I will post it here.
The Volvo ad campaign was and is clearly misleading.
ruling here

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/4/Volvo-Car-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_296203.aspx#.Vv9XJKQrKM8

·
Registered
83 Posts
I asked my dealer whether mine would be made in England and he said yes, they all are! Perhaps he doesn't know for sure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't think some salesman have a clue.
My guy told me mine was built in Germany.
Admittedly I haven't googled very hard but I can't find a German factory that builds the Astra K.

·
Registered
573 Posts
loskie said:
It's understandable to promote certain countries where cars are built but it is often misleading.
Volvo for example with their V40 range use the phrase "Built in Sweden, made for Britain". Now the fact are that the V40 model is made in Belgium. I raised this with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) who rejected my complaint that the ad was misleading stating that people buying the car would be aware that they were not made in Sweden but as they were designed there and some components made there then that was ok.
I certainly did not agree with their ruling and did ask the ASA who funds them, is it the ad companies, manufacturers, who?
I failed to get a response. If I can find their decision on the ad I will post it here.
The Volvo ad campaign was and is clearly misleading.
ruling here

https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2015/4/Volvo-Car-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_296203.aspx#.Vv9XJKQrKM8
OT but Volvo just launched Born in Sweden compaign for all their cars in here.

Personally i dont think its a big issue about location, it's built in EU, so quality standards will be the same, the only difference could be the waiting time. I expect polish cars have a longer delivery time to UK then locally built :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts