Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody post some pictures and thoughts about BC with Intellilink 4.0 and Driver Pack Assistance? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok, so I can't take pictures right now so I hope my thoughts will suffice.

I was kinda bummed to find out that color board computer is only available with Navi 900 (since I didn't want that due to the absence of Android auto), but after some research they seem to be functionaly pretty much same. The main difference is that you get nicer steering wheel controls with navi (with r 4.0 you have to control board computer with your indicators stick, which is somewhat less convenient) and some indicators (like cruise control) are shown on display instead of with separate warning light (check the manual, you can see it all there).

Anyway, I think It could have been better in terms of displayed information. Like 99% of time I have it switched to screen showing current speed. You also get odometer, shifting indicator, last traffic sign and thats pretty much it. No outside temperature (thats shown on intellilink, but only on home screen, so its not visible when using Android auto), no clock, not even currently set cruise control speed (that only brielfy flashes when you set it). Also any kind of notification (traffic sign, crusie control adjustment, any warning) will cover whole display area, so you cant see anything else.

And about that driver pack assistance, my overall impression is meh. The only thing I found really somewhat useful is suprisingly forward collision alert. So for each feature:

Traffic sign recognition - sometimes useful if you were not paying complete attention and want to check e.g. current speed limit, but you cannot 100% trust it since it misses some traffic signs often

Lane departure warning with lane assist - this is kinda cool when it works, but the lane markings must be really clear. So if you have trouble when lane markings are badly visible, you can bet lane assist cant see them either and shut itself down.

Cruise control with speed limiter - pretty much standard cruise control, haven't used speed limiter yet. I was spoiled a little with the one BMW has that also breaks (like when going downhill or lowering cc speed a bit more), which this one does not.

Forward collision alert with low speed collision mitigation braking - haven't seen it brake yet, but the alert is sometimes useful for example if car in front of you starts braking harder than you would expect

Following distance indicator - in i 4.0 shows either green or orange led when you get too close to the car in front of you. You can also display exact seconds from the car in front of you, but on monochrome BC its buried deep in different menu, so finding it using indicators stick is really distracting and I have really use it like one time just to see how it works.

If you don't plan on getting highest spec (with driver assist pack already included) and are on tight budget, I'd suggest to get Parking pack instead (I really like automatic parking)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your comment and thoughts Morgoth! Well, I'm planning on the highest spec (Innovation) and that driver assist pack is included with that trim level. I'm also more interested in Intellilink 4.0 because of Android, but it seems that full colour display (which goes with Navi 900) is a better option, since it can completely show the information that driver assist pack supplies and other information in general.
It's such a nonsense from Opel that you get one coloured BC screen with the highest spec....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I get on fine with the monochrome display, and usually have mine showing either distance to empty or trip 1, which included average fuel consumption. Traffic sign notification's can be turned off so they only appear in the small box next to the odometer, and then won't cover the main screen when they change. I find changing between screens if you want to fairly painless using the controls on the indicator stalk, so no problems with that. I do like the speed limit signs coming up in the display, although as Morgoth says they aren't always 100% accurate. I think Lane Departure is probably good for when you're driving when a bit tired, but most of the time I have it turned off. One thing to consider, certainly in the UK at least, is that the SRi spec cars are in lower insurance groups than the other models, so should be cheaper to insure. I think this is partly down to the drivers assistance pack being standard.

·
Registered
218 Posts
it seems that full colour display (which goes with Navi 900) is a better option, since it can completely show the information that driver assist pack supplies and other information in general.
Can someone with Color BC comment on this? Because from what I could make from manual, the color one doesn't show anything more than the monochrome. In monochrome, you get separate indicator light for lane assist (turns green on yellow), distance indicator light (green, yellow), cruise control light (green - active, white - on but not active) but without any visible indication what currently set speed is, last traffic sign is displayed on board computer and that's pretty much it. I think the main difference is that you can also control all the stuff navi is doing (media playback, phone settings, displaying navigation info, vehicle settings) on board computer (but probably won't be able to do it with android auto).

For me, having Android auto was priority and no one really knows if they'll add support to current Navi 900. Opel in my country stated on facebook that they'll add Android auto support to Navi 900 sometime in July, but it won't be compatible with current units already in cars (so it seems like they'll do some upgrade for MY2017).

·
Registered
280 Posts
With colour screen, the set cruise speed is shown constantly at the bottom of the display. We also have screen showing tyre pressure and some screens relating to economy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok so the only difference in displayed information is the currently set cruise control speed. The tire pressure screen is also on the monochrome one, with some others like timer, remaining oil life, traffic sign assistant and following distance indicator. The economy stuff is only with ecotec engine, mine 1.4 T without start stop does not have it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I appreciate the frustration for Android users but I must say I really like the colour driver display and Navi 900 that comes with my SRi Nav and I find the Driver Assistance Pack useful too (standard on the SRi).

There are several small benefits - the colour display makes good use of colour and, as I think it's a bit bigger, it always shows the current cruise control speed that is set. This remains displayed if cruise control is cancelled so it shows you the speed that will be used if you press RESume.

The speed indicator is also spot on and works flawlessly on the Nav as it uses its map database to supplement the signs read. It worked perfectly today reading temporary speed limit signs in a roadwork area but always changes as soon as I turn into a different road or enter a built up area even when there are no signs.

The distance to car in front can also be useful and is easy to access on Navi 900 but in normal driving for me it always shows ">2.5s" as I always leave a good gap.

I couldn't decide whether the Nav update was worthwhile as I already have Apple Maps and TomTom on my iPhone but my dealer agreed to add it for just £300.

Frustratingly, Apple maps doesn't work without an Internet connection. I planned a route to a remote location today but Apple Maps was unable to plan the return route from there despite having the route already loaded. TomTom doesn't work with CarPlay (I guess they want people to TomTom units) so the car's own Nav system was useful and worked perfectly when I asked it to navigate to an my home address (via voice command).

I also like the Lane Assist which I always leave on. I agree it doesn't work without clear road markings but it's been very good on dual carriageway in the UK.

I find it bizarre that Vauxhall/Opel go to all the trouble of having different steering wheel controls and a different driver's Info display. The cost difference must be small and hardly justifies the exta complexity and effort they have in stocking, fitting and supporting the different systems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.