Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed an issue with the Start/Stop function on my Astra K.

When I am slowing to a crawl in traffic I move into first gear from second or third and the revs drop, the rev counter moves to Auto Stop before then restarting. At no stage do I leave the gear in neutral or release the clutch pedal.

Also, and worse in my opinion, is when I do stop and move the gear to neutral then release the clutch the engine correctly stops and rev counter moves to Auto Stop. When I am ready to move off I put the car in gear but the engine does not restart. The restart only happens if I have retried the process a few times or pressed the button to disengage auto-start stop in which case the engine starts straight away. I have tried leaving the clutch pedal pressed but nothing happens.

In my last car, Insignia, as soon as the clutch pedal was pressed the engine started.

I wonder if this is an issue with software, the gear selection indicator or the clutch pedal switch?

I have reported this to the dealer but has anyone else seen this behaviour?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kristis. Got to take it in for an expert to look at...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm thinking your problem is the trigger in the gearbox, it sends the ECU signal when gear is in neutral and when it's not. So yours probably is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know that there are 2 different start/stop system in de Astra.
De regular and the late restart.

the late restart doesn't start your engine when you press the clutch pedal. It only start when you put the car in first gear en you release the brake. The system is also called CoM (change of mind startmotor) because some people press the clutch (motor starts), realise that the light is still red en then release the cluch again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Andy. Normally the system works as regular. I have tried putting car in gear as well, out of gear, releasing clutch etc but no good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had problems this morning when it stopped but wouldn't re-start again at lights (twice). As there were cars behind me I resorted to using the key to turn off and re-start ignition. Will try pressing the button to disable the Auto Stop /Start system next time to see if that starts it back up.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My auto start / stop pretty much had a mind of its own, although, like my auto headlights, it seems to have settled down recently and become slightly more predictable.

I'm surprised that the auto stop engages sometimes even when the engine's cold (counter intuitive, to say the least!). It also auto stops when both the lights and the air con are on. Then again, it often re-starts by itself, presumably if it detects it's draining the battery too much.

I used to go whole journeys in traffic and the wretched system didn't work at all! :( :eek: :shock:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Does it also stop engine after you go on the highway and stop to refill? When the turbo is super hot and needs time to cool down?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mattonecz said:
Does it also stop engine after you go on the highway and stop to refill? When the turbo is super hot and needs time to cool down?
Mine varies. If I've been going quite quickly on a motorway and then suddenly get stuck in traffic, it will auto stop about 50% of the time, even if the conditions are virtually identical!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've has a weird thing on my auto start/stop. If I'm facing down hill it won't start until I release the break pedal but if I'm facing uphill it will come on when I press the clutch. Also, I've noticed on a morning that the system won't work unless I turn my heating fan off (I can then turn it back on) before the system works. I also have to make sure that A/C is turned off.

·
Registered
190 Posts
bennevison said:
I've has a weird thing on my auto start/stop. If I'm facing down hill it won't start until I release the break pedal but if I'm facing uphill it will come on when I press the clutch. Also, I've noticed on a morning that the system won't work unless I turn my heating fan off (I can then turn it back on) before the system works. I also have to make sure that A/C is turned off.
The stat stop system has a massive list of prerequisites. One of which is that the battery is sufficiently charged to both restart the engine and still run all of the accessories. If your heating fan, A/C and a bunch of other stuff are all running, and the battery doesn't have enough juice, then the car will not auto stop.
As for facing down/up hill, if driving uphill and the engine only restarts after releasing the brake pedal then the car will roll back too much before you can move anywhere. Downhill it doesn't matter as much because you will begin to roll in the direction of travel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Further to my earlier post about it not restarting on me yesterday it was because I had to release brake pedal before it would restart. It was restarting without doing so at other lights which was what confused me but as said in posts above there are lots of factors that affect the system. It shouldn't activate if engine hot, battery low etc. It will also restart itself for number of reasons like battery drained to certain point or even if likes of the climate control senses cabin temp getting hot whilst aircon paused.

I personally don't like that you should have to release the brake peddle for it to restart. In most cases you end up a bit slower off the lights waiting for it to start. The hill gradient required to disable the brake peddle release prerequisite (and hill hold function) seems to need a decent angle to register too as had a bit of roll back yesterday waiting for engine to restart. I'm nit picking though as it seems to do job well in most cases so far, when I have the system active that is.

·
Registered
856 Posts
PACMANIA said:
As mention b4 stop/start to many problems, stupid technology good old fashion key the best :x
Hi

Not had a problem with mine and personally I think it's a good idea. On my wife's Adam it lowered her road tax from £105 a year to £30 as she had the optional start / stop added.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
PACMANIA said:
As mention b4 stop/start to many problems, stupid technology good old fashion key the best :x
Take your point, mate, but if you switch off the engine manually, lots of things don't run that would do with 'auto stop' alone. Accordingly, I would like the 'auto stop' to work more reliably or predictably!

·
Registered
212 Posts
mpotter said:
The hill gradient required to disable the brake peddle release prerequisite (and hill hold function) seems to need a decent angle to register too as had a bit of roll back yesterday waiting for engine to restart. I'm nit picking though as it seems to do job well in most cases so far, when I have the system active that is.
I too was caught out by the stop / start on a slight incline in that the car rolled back before the engine started. I now put the electronic handbrake on and then use the clutch to start the engine and the clutch/accelerator to disengage the handbrake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts