Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I would stay clear of any software update / reprogramming of ecu for emissions, you don't know what files they are downloading into your system. After reading about VW owners experiences it's a no from me. Slower cars , worse economy - no thanks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree with @pompeydave on this, If I still owned my 1.6d, I wouldn't have the update done, either. Probably lead to poorer economy plus more dpf regens. Going by what I've read on Skoda forums. They're doing it, as they've obviously been cheating with emissions within the first place.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
880PEL said:
Do you need to take car to Opel dealer to get it "adjusted"? This "latest software" thing is always a risky business... :D
Yes, need to go to vauxhall, they will stick their computer on the car and "upgrade" the firmware in the engine ECU.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Boroboy said:
I agree with @pompeydave on this, If I still owned my 1.6d, I wouldn't have the update done, either. Probably lead to poorer economy plus more dpf regens. Going by what I've read on Skoda forums. They're doing it, as they've obviously been cheating with emissions within the first place.
Yeah, this is what i have read also on those cars.

How, more regens and poorer fuel economy can be better for the enviroment is beyond me to be honest.

Regen uses extra diesel to heat up the DPF, and less MPG = More pollution per mile.

So essentially they want to update the software to make the car use more diesel, and burning diesel is polluting.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have done update last week unfortunatelly. I didnt know how bad would be.
Bu now is done and i cant "roll back" right?
Car is less responsive to throttle and i think it uses a lot more fuel now. I regret doing this update.
I would say that now engine is "lazy" under 1800 rpms and i have to shift more frequently.
Not happy with how it feels now to drive.

One question though:
last two, three tanks (before update) i noticed drop in range when i reset BC after refuelling. Now on full tank it shows me only about 950-970km of range. I use metric because i live in europe.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I bet there is less emissions coming from the rear when updates done but like many have said it's going to be less responsive and worse on fuel , all at the customers expense…….again !.
Less power so you put your foot down more…good knows what's in the ecu now.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Icy said:
I have done update last week unfortunatelly. I didnt know how bad would be.
Bu now is done and i cant "roll back" right?
Car is less responsive to throttle and i think it uses a lot more fuel now. I regret doing this update.
I would say that now engine is "lazy" under 1800 rpms and i have to shift more frequently.
Not happy with how it feels now to drive.

One question though:
last two, three tanks (before update) i noticed drop in range when i reset BC after refuelling. Now on full tank it shows me only about 950-970km of range. I use metric because i live in europe.
Is this normal?
That's it...I am going to dodge this update, i dont want worse fuel economy.

The only thing i can think of is if some "tuner" based his tuning file on the older firmware.

The range estimate is based on average mileage, mine is always above 1000 km of range, but it is wildly optimistic.

I have done 1000 km on one tank a few times, but normally i refuel at about 800 km and then i have 5-6 liters left.

·
Registered
825 Posts
astraowner said:
How, more regens and poorer fuel economy can be better for the enviroment is beyond me to be honest.

Regen uses extra diesel to heat up the DPF, and less MPG = More pollution per mile.

So essentially they want to update the software to make the car use more diesel, and burning diesel is polluting.
TBH I can't figure how DPF's improve emissions anyway :?: Seems to me (mebbe I'm being naive - or thick - lol) but the dpf attracts all the larger particles of soot until it's full, then burns them off to produce a huge glut of smaller particles once in a while :shock: . How exactly is that improving emissions ? Instead of the car steadily releasing by-products of combustion over time, it runs cleaner forra few hundred miles then chucks a huge gob of filth out forra couple of miles......end result is still the same amount of emissions, just concentrated into a smaller time-period :roll:

It's not as if it's like a cat which actually converts some of the pollutants into less harmful substances.

I know on our works Sprinters, when a re-gen is being done they kick out a load of black smoke. No warnings given but the engine seems down on power and sounds like there's a small hole in the exhaust.

Like I say, mebbe I'm being thick but that's how it seems to me :lol:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Shaky said:
astraowner said:

TBH I can't figure how DPF's improve emissions anyway :?: Seems to me (mebbe I'm being naive - or thick - lol) but the dpf attracts all the larger particles of soot until it's full, then burns them off to produce a huge glut of smaller particles once in a while :shock: . How exactly is that improving emissions ? Instead of the car steadily releasing by-products of combustion over time, it runs cleaner forra few hundred miles then chucks a huge gob of filth out forra couple of miles......end result is still the same amount of emissions, just concentrated into a smaller time-period :roll:

It's not as if it's like a cat which actually converts some of the pollutants into less harmful substances.

I know on our works Sprinters, when a re-gen is being done they kick out a load of black smoke. No warnings given but the engine seems down on power and sounds like there's a small hole in the exhaust.

Like I say, mebbe I'm being thick but that's how it seems to me :lol:
Yeah it's a bit of a mystery to me as well.

Maybe the reason is that when the diesel is cold, it puts out a lot of particles.

So the car collects the particles and then eject them when you drive on the motorway, in less populated areas ?

Our old Zafira, though, had this idea that the best place to do regen, was after a long motorway drive, just when we got off the motorway and entered the city.

It also did the "Onslow's car" puff of black sooty smoke, when it was doing regen, and i was stopped at a traffic light, and then when it turned green i would accelerate.

Have had more than a few angry looks and people blowing their horn at me, when i laid out smoke in front of them :D

·
Super Moderator
73 Posts
My BiTurbo had the update last week, together with 5 year interim service and MOT.

over the weekend, I did over 500 miles, and didn't notice any difference in performance, or economy.

I was a bit apprehensive after reading about the update on this forum, but am perfectly happy now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I may be totally wrong but from what i have read the soot burn off creates very small particles of ash which stay in the filter and need to be cleaned out as it states below every 150,000 to 300,000 miles. (this is a truck)

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen is a relatively recent issue facing truck and fleet owners.

Starting with 2007 model years, diesel trucks are "blessed" with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). DPFs grab soot from your exhaust before it blows out into the environment. It's a wall-flow filter usually made of cordierite, silicon carbide, or a ceramic monolith.

Cleaning
The DPF must be cleaned every 150,000 to 300,000 miles to remove accumulated ash. This ash buildup is not necessarily related to regens, but is most often due to sulfated ash in the engine oil. The filter must also be cleaned if a fuel injector or turbo problem causes contamination with engine oil or non-combusted diesel. This contamination causes unacceptable back pressure.

Cleaning methods include air blasting, the use of de-ionized water, and a vacuum-like system. Cleaning must be done very carefully so as not to damage the filter. The particulate matter removed must be carefully handled so technicians are not exposed to its extremely fine contaminants.

Timewise, cleaning a DPF should be quick enough to be accommodated during an oil change.

What's coming out of the exhaust
While expensive for truck owners, the removal of diesel particulate matter before it blows into our breathing air certainly has its benefits. Following is a table showing the different elements that make up the matter DPF filters capture:

https://www.fullbay.com/blog/diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-regen/

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well from that description, I can see it having benefits but..............that certainly doesn't happen with our work vans and as astraowner has stated, his last Zafira also used to blow out a cloud of crap while doing a regen.

Has anyone on here noticed if their Astra Diesel does this during a regen ?

Mebbe the truck systems (being MUCH larger motors) are a more sophisticated system ?

Although how may people are actually going to own a car for 150-300k miles is gonna be a very small % and I would've thought they would have to be replaced well before that figure ?

God knows !

·
Registered
168 Posts
Shaky said:
Well from that description, I can see it having benefits but..............that certainly doesn't happen with our work vans and as astraowner has stated, his last Zafira also used to blow out a cloud of crap while doing a regen.

Mebbe the truck systems (being MUCH larger motors) are a more sophisticated system ?

Although how may people are actually going to own a car for 150-300k miles is gonna be a very small % and I would've thought they would have to be replaced well before that figure ?

God knows !
I read that cars can start having issues from 100,000 which these days is not a huge milage for a diesel.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Shaky said:

God knows !
I have never seen any visible black smoke from my Astra, like on the Zafira.

Maybe down to the fact that the Zafira was 10 years old and had done ~250.000 miles.

I remember just when these filters came out for busses, the bus company in a larger city in my country bought these. They were the type that collected the particles and then it needed to be blown out when it got clogged.

This had to be done, using a machine that was supposed to be at the bus garage.

The company had not bought this machine as they felt it was too expensive, and just buying the filters, they felt would be enough to be able to advertise how "green" they were.

Until some day local TV had the story of how, when the filters were full, the bus garage, just flipped them around, and took the bus for a good thrashing down the motorway, to blow out all of the accumulated soot.

After that, they suddenly found, that it was a good idea to also invest in the machine to blow out the filters in a controlled manner.

Another tv program revealed that a lot of busses were driving around our capital, and polluted A LOT more than what was normal.

Turned out, the bus company found that with these filters the MPG was a lot worse, and also the filters were expensive, so they just bought a few good filters, and the rest was just smashed to bits so they were essentially just a hollow tube.

When it came time for the bus to go have their MOT (1 year interval) they slapped on one of the good filters, had it pass the MOT and then took it back and put on the "tube" again.

The police and MOT stations got wind of this, after the program, and started marking the filters the bus came in with, so that they could not use the same filter for all busses, and also the police cracked down and started pulling busses over, and if they had an inoperative filter, they got an instant driving ban....Which in turn cost the bus company a lot of money also, because of angry costumers, when their commute suddenly ended prematurely because the bus could go no further...I even think they ordered the bus company to have the bus removed, by towtruck :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
today i entered myopel website after a long time and saw that i have a "technical action" awaiting me. the "lovely" myopel site doesn't show me what the action is :x so i called the closest auth. dealer and got an appointment for the next week. i was told that it was smth related to emissions and my software (ECU probably?) needs to be updated. anyone heard anything about this tech. action/recall?

my car: MY2016, 1,6 CDTI (B16DTH), manual transmission

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
mrtailorson_ said:
got the same notice for this emissions recall.

from what i've read from this thread...time to cancel my appointment :)
Yeah, i have decided that i am going to NOT have the update applied, unless they make it a MOT fail, if it is not installed.

A sideeffect of this, is that i can not take my car to vauxhall, but have to use independent garages...Vauxhall's loss really.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts