Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is anybody able to tell me if my car has a timing belt or chain? It makes quite a loud rattle noise when lightly accelerating which makes me think it's a chain

Either way, please could somebody advise me on the time intervals it will need replacing?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Chain & my 1.4t auto, does not have any obvious engine rattle at any time, cold or warm, whilst driving or during idle. There's no change interval for it, s far as I know.
Are you experiencing any dash warning lights? Age & mileage of your car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No warnings or anything. 66 plate, 48000 miles I believe, or thereabouts. Has always done it since I've had it. Full service recently which I thought may cure it but no joy. It's only if i accelerate gently and it stops after 5 seconds maybe. Odd one, just sounds loose or like it needs greasing, whatever it is. I'm guessing it may be the chain bit honestly I don't know. It makes quite a few odd noises I've just decided to live with as nobody seems to know whats causing it..just keep driving until the wheels fall off or the engine falls out 😜

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
No warnings or anything. 66 plate, 48000 miles I believe, or thereabouts. Has always done it since I've had it. Full service recently which I thought may cure it but no joy. It's only if i accelerate gently and it stops after 5 seconds maybe. Odd one, just sounds loose or like it needs greasing, whatever it is. I'm guessing it may be the chain bit honestly I don't know. It makes quite a few odd noises I've just decided to live with as nobody seems to know whats causing it..just keep driving until the wheels fall off or the engine falls out 😜
It's difficult to say, really. I also have the same engine with the same auto box, certainly don't have any transmission or engine rattles. Interior rattles, yes:ROFLMAO:
So it occurs from a standing start, for around 5 seconds whilst accelerating, gently? That's the case you are probably in 1st & 2n'd auto gears, only. Does not occur if you just rev it up on idle?

·
Registered
162 Posts
usually the law of physics will mean the chain will be more stressed under acceleration & less stressed when under deceleration which is when you’d normally hear a chain flapping around as the engine revs drop off. Many loose timing chains jump a tooth or two when the driver switches the engine off , they only find out the chains jumped a few teeth when they get back in the car to on their merry way again only to find it suddenly won’t start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makes sense. Next time i use it i'll see if it does it in higher gears too, and if in neutral. I'll see if i can get a little video/sound byte of it. It doesnt seem to be causing any harm (i hope) as its been like it for over 3 years, just now its hot and driving around town i open windows rather than air con, i can hear it more. People i drive past must think WTF is wrong wit that car!!! :D

My dash doesnt rattle so much anymore, it seems to have sorted itself out a bit on that front. I think when i put dull matt black tape over all the shiney chrome that acted as a mirror to reflect the sun into my face while driving has helped.

My suspenion makes some interesting noises though. if i open my rear door and stand on the car and bounce it, it creaks like an old bed from a brothel. While driving at low speeds over bumpy ground is sounds like the wheels are about to fall off, and when its cold and i go over a speed bump, it makes a massive (and i mean massive) creak noise! Seen all of this mentioned in previous posts on here and people having various parts repalced to fix these issues, but utimately they seem to come back, the dealerships are a pain to deal with, so im just going to try and ignore it all, turn up the stereo and keep driving until it falls apart :)

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
makes sense. Next time i use it i'll see if it does it in higher gears too, and if in neutral. I'll see if i can get a little video/sound byte of it. It doesnt seem to be causing any harm (i hope) as its been like it for over 3 years, just now its hot and driving around town i open windows rather than air con, i can hear it more. People i drive past must think WTF is wrong wit that car!!! :D

My dash doesnt rattle so much anymore, it seems to have sorted itself out a bit on that front. I think when i put dull matt black tape over all the shiney chrome that acted as a mirror to reflect the sun into my face while driving has helped.

My suspenion makes some interesting noises though. if i open my rear door and stand on the car and bounce it, it creaks like an old bed from a brothel. While driving at low speeds over bumpy ground is sounds like the wheels are about to fall off, and when its cold and i go over a speed bump, it makes a massive (and i mean massive) creak noise! Seen all of this mentioned in previous posts on here and people having various parts repalced to fix these issues, but utimately they seem to come back, the dealerships are a pain to deal with, so im just going to try and ignore it all, turn up the stereo and keep driving until it falls apart :)
Regarding your suspension, my previous 16 plate, Astra K made the exact same noises from the back end, when pushing it down from the rear upper door area. It used to annoyingly creak, especially when driving off from a cold start.
My current 18 plate has not done this so far, but occasionally rattles/creaks from the rear end when going over a pothole or an uneven surface when turning a tight corner at lower speeds. This maybe due to the general suspension set up.
I've also recently had the front rubber dust gators replaced, another common failure within the K.
If you've not took the dealers extended warranty, I certainly wouldn't go near one for obvious reasons:ROFLMAO:
Stick with a good independent garage, instead.
Although I've made a couple of successful claims on my vaux extended warranty, so far. New set of front runner dust gators, auto gear selector was replaced, too. Symptoms, couldn't get my key out of the ignition when in park, only a minor inconvenience :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding your suspension, my previous 16 plate, Astra K made the exact same noises from the back end, when pushing it down from the rear upper door area. It used to annoyingly creak, especially when driving off from a cold start.
My current 18 plate has not done this so far, but occasionally rattles/creaks from the rear end when going over a pothole or an uneven surface when turning a tight corner at lower speeds. This maybe due to the general suspension set up.
I've also recently had the front rubber dust gators replaced, another common failure within the K.
If you've not took the dealers extended warranty, I certainly wouldn't go near one for obvious reasons:ROFLMAO:
Stick with a good independent garage, instead.
Although I've made a couple of successful claims on my vaux extended warranty, so far. New set of front runner dust gators, auto gear selector was replaced, too. Symptoms, couldn't get my key out of the ignition when in park, only a minor inconvenience :ROFLMAO:
No exteneded warranty unfortunately
I too have started having the auto select issue with the key. Its on and off for about a year. I have to really slam it into park to get the key out when it decided to have this issue. cant wait for that to completely fail on me.
I have a good reliable garage i use, run by friends of a friend so theyre always sorting me out with bits and pieces on cars. Worried about all of this, the total cost of these faults will be huge i believe

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
No exteneded warranty unfortunately
I too have started having the auto select issue with the key. Its on and off for about a year. I have to really slam it into park to get the key out when it decided to have this issue. cant wait for that to completely fail on me.
I have a good reliable garage i use, run by friends of a friend so theyre always sorting me out with bits and pieces on cars. Worried about all of this, the total cost of these faults will be huge i believe
Yes my key issue was intermittent, gradually became worse over time. It's difficult to diagnose, too. Fortunately my dealership had experience this issue previously, the insurance backed warranty covered it.
I got to the point that I couldn't pull the key out, whatever I did.
Since having the repair done, it's been A1.
I have seen a new gear selector recently on eBay (original part), new for £84. Although vauxhall charged my warranty company a lot more than that, plus fitting.
These items shouldn't be failing early, really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts