Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the car for about a year, then infotainment screen started randomly flashing, sometimes for a few minutes then all ok, sometimes on switch on ok sometimes not. Looking at past posts related seems this could be prevalent for this 2016 models maybe sri 1600 like mine. Ive trawled through any info on this, and have no conclusions except it could be pricy to fix, 2nd hand units available on ebay ,but my question is will a unit have to be coded ,when installed, i havnt a clue, does anyone have any idea. I have removed the unit in my car and had a look for loose connections or circuit board issues, it looks ok not to say though a component breakdown, Im wondering if its just the screen itself, I guess I will have to swap to find out, but would like verification if I need to get a substitute unit coded and more to the point the cost, or just put up with the corruption as when its ok it tends to stay ok until its booted again. About the same time as this fault occurred I had a tyre pressure alarm come up, but on inspection all tyres ok, then the alarm went for a while then comes back, that seems random, is this just a coincidence or what seems very odd, would be glad of any assistance or comments .

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
From posts on here the screen is plug and play Iirc.
Vx changed manufacturer I belive to LG as the original ones were getting unreliable. So buy the LG model not the original one as you will be back to square 1 in a year or so.

Intellinkmods replace them at approx £150, seems very reasonable to me. Perhaps ring them and they might post you a screen, for you to fit. There are cheaper screens I believe on places like alibaba, but they maybe the old screens, who knows. Intellinkmods seem to know a lot about the screen problems and have provided good information about them on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
]I have previous post relating to a corrupt infotainment screen on my 2016 astra sri, K note this is a large screen , not sure when the smaller screen was discontinued but guess it was 2015-16. I have some screen shots here of the s/w revisions etc, and just wondering if there is anyone out there can shed any light as to whether it looks ok, some of it i can sort of understand the rest is alien to me, more to the point can anyone verify if they have the same readout on a working non faulty display, any info greatly appreciated.

Communication Device Portable communications device Mobile device Gadget Mobile phone
Font Wood Display device Electronic device Rectangle
Font Rectangle Parallel Paper Tints and shades
Rectangle Font Paper Parallel Number
Personal computer Rectangle Font Output device Gadget

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks fine to me, all your software versions seem a bit older than mine, the screen will need a replacement to fix this issue. There's a company called IntellilinkMods who can do it for £450, they're based in Blythe if that's near you. Otherwise Vauxhall will charge you like £1200+ to replace it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the quick reply just a point though will a new screen plus the circuit board be fitted i guess so, that means all of the head unit as the radio is separate, and i guess it means an intermittent fault exists, sorry to sound like a killjoy but it seems a lot of owners of 2016 astras like mine have the same issue, i still cannot understand why it corrects itself after a short while. £450 sounds ok if you can afford it, but is that the sum and total, is there a possibility or it reoccurring, I mean Ive had my car only just one year !

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just to correct my comment on pricing of intellilnkmods in my previous post it is £450 I think not £150, I must have hit the wrong key.

Here is a YouTube link of a screen being replaced, albeit in a foreign language though which shows it appears to be plug and play.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked at the price of replacing the radio with a DAB/Android Auto double DIN.
Connects2 do a kit for £200 and a suitable radio unit is £400 to £600 or more for a very posh one
:) (Sony/ Alpine/etc).
Total £600/£800 plus (altough a basic radio can be had for £100). So the intellilinks method is cheaper but if you wanted a mega fancy radio theres not that much in it. You could keep the fancy double din for another car and just pop a cheapie in when time to sell on comes round. :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Bogbody said:
Out of curiosity I looked at the price of replacing the radio with a DAB/Android Auto double DIN.
Connects2 do a kit for £200 and a suitable radio unit is £400 to £600 or more for a very posh one
:) (Sony/ Alpine/etc).
Total £600/£800 plus (altough a basic radio can be had for £100). So the intellilinks method is cheaper but if you wanted a mega fancy radio theres not that much in it. You could keep the fancy double din for another car and just pop a cheapie in when time to sell on comes round. :)
Do these non-Vaux ones still have the ability to show/change the cars various settings Bogbody ? Thought that was the problem with everything being integrated with the Intellilink unit ! Would be nice if they do.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Bogbody said:
The connects2 kit comes with a canbus control box that makes the steering wheel controls work.
Some other functions are supported they say.

Have a look here

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKVX41

If I went down the intellilinks repair route - I would have the reverse camera option fitted :)
But nowadays a lot more is controlled from the actual screen.

The settings menu for all of the functions is in the screen, and if the aftermarket unit does not support controlling these features you will be unable to change a lot of stuff that is directly related to the car

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well if the original screen is not working you cant adjust anything anyway!

Its a 4 way choice . . . . . . .
Vauxhall dealer = £1200
New Double Din+ kit = £300 to £800 (may not be able to adjust/set everything)
Intellilinks = £450 (please check the current price with them)
DIY = £100 to £200 ish (if you can actually buy the correct LG screen and not a dodgy clone that's bust 2 weeks later!!)

What would I do?
Post Covid bolly-arks - get Intellilinks to do the job and have a reverse camera fitted at the same time.
During Covid bolly-arks - put up with no radio or bodge something in cheap and nasty until I could get up to Intellilinks place.
Susan Calman's solution of a Boom-Box on the passenger seat of Helen looks like a good move.
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok bogbody thats about it in black and white, just as I had guessed, so we are assuming the fault is just the screen and not the processer board its plugged into. I assume the lcd is similar to a bog standard tablet, which could be expensive to replace but not 450 quid, i guess its labour costs as well and one has to know how to do it, you must have patience and a steady hand. Thanks for the reply much appreciated, Im going to leave mine for a while if I can muster some cash then may have it done, but its just an annoyance just now, as for a 2nd hand one you are right you could get one that works now but fails later, in my case just over 3 years!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all,
I have in the past posted about issues with my infotainment unit, it started to flicker, sometimes would show blank and usually rights itself after a short time typically 5 minutes. I had decided to buy a second hand unit after reading the many posts on the cost new, also a company that can repair for £400 odd, I cannot possibly afford that, but as I know there must be many out there including on this site that have similar issues, the different answers I have had seem to contradict each other. There seems to be belief that just a particular year 2016 was affected and maybe just a run covering a few months, mine was certainly one being an Astra cdti sri 1598 registered September. So I am ok with the fact that Vauxhall had a bad batch of screens and for whatever reason there wasn't a recall, perhaps it took some time for the units to fail I bought my car just 2 years ago and the unit failed about 18 months from then! S o I have been weighing up the options and it didn't seem a bad idea to buy a second hand one which I did on ebay after all it was from a scrapped astra, it arrived and when I removed mine from the car all seemed identical from the front but hey one of the sockets on the rear was different on the 2nd hand one, in any case if I had removed the unit first then checked the serial no of mine and made sure the ebay sellers item serial number was the same I would be sure, so my fault there. I am sending it back with full apologies but the point is there are lots available just now on ebay but reference is made on some that their units for sale are for astra 2016 to 2019, this is a bit misleading as clearly in my case that is not so, as there are more that one type, I am at a loss now as I have scrutinised all photos on each of the sellers and all of them show 2 sockets one being the same and has a micro usb embedded in it, the other one is about an inch wide, mine has the second socket only about half inch wide, in some cases as in mine another socket is visible on the rear as on mine but its not being used, I s there anyone out there that has had a successful outcome on changing a dud unit without having to rob a bank to pay for one, also Im not sure if the units are plug and play or will need coding as of course thats another cost, would appreciate any meaningful answers as without being disrespectful, the last time I posted about this I got bombarded with all sorts of claims and advice, thanks in advance if you can help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the car for about a year, then infotainment screen started randomly flashing, sometimes for a few minutes then all ok, sometimes on switch on ok sometimes not. Looking at past posts related seems this could be prevalent for this 2016 models maybe sri 1600 like mine. Ive trawled through any info on this, and have no conclusions except it could be pricy to fix, 2nd hand units available on ebay ,but my question is will a unit have to be coded ,when installed, i havnt a clue, does anyone have any idea. I have removed the unit in my car and had a look for loose connections or circuit board issues, it looks ok not to say though a component breakdown, Im wondering if its just the screen itself, I guess I will have to swap to find out, but would like verification if I need to get a substitute unit coded and more to the point the cost, or just put up with the corruption as when its ok it tends to stay ok until its booted again. About the same time as this fault occurred I had a tyre pressure alarm come up, but on inspection all tyres ok, then the alarm went for a while then comes back, that seems random, is this just a coincidence or what seems very odd, would be glad of any assistance or comments .
I have just suffered exactly this- first tyre pressure warnings, random and wrong, then stereo intermittently refuses to turn on. Garage have reset tyre system but stereo still misbehaving. It’s not a navi system.
Anyone managed a fix?
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts