Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Everytime I do a long journey in my car I get an Eml light on my dash.

Today is it P0171 I've done
a quick check and got loads of different answers from Google.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this and at what cost? I've used different petrol that normal travelling back. Could that be what it is?

I'm awful when it comes to car knowlege so any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
DTC P0171 means the fuel trim system is running lean,so it's adding fuel to the point where the code gets thrown,
there are a few things that can be the cause but the most common on this engine is a fault in the PCV system

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DTC P0171 means the fuel trim system is running lean,so it's adding fuel to the point where the code gets thrown,
there are a few things that can be the cause but the most common on this engine is a fault in the PCV system
What's the PVC system mate?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sure that’s a maf sensor error code if I remember correctly. So sensor can be cleaned out to try and clear code. Dirty air filter can also cause this error.
Cheers Dave.

Is it a, common fault or serious?

Sick of the car like. I had p0014 and p0011 aswell recently which were sorted.

Starting to lose trust in it.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you've recently had work done on the engine i'd get it checked out that the pcv pipework and valves are all tight,correctly sealed and working and they haven't left anything loose that could cause an unmetered air leak.

Reactions: Redman and Boroboy

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Cheers Dave.

Is it a, common fault or serious?

Sick of the car like. I had p0014 and p0011 aswell recently which were sorted.

Starting to lose trust in it.
Fairly common issue on a lot of cars , I’ve cleaned out a few and error has gone away and car drives better , but some too far gone and needed replacing . Not too much £££ but car can become rough and poor mpg. As Valer said any work done on the car recently ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The code also ties in nicely with an earlier thread from the o/p

Anyone else getting low MPG?

I'm getting roughly 35 MPG in the city and 40 MPG on long Motorways!

Anyone got any ideas how I can improve this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fairly common issue on a lot of cars , I’ve cleaned out a few and error has gone away and car drives better , but some too far gone and needed replacing . Not too much £££ but car can become rough and poor mpg. As Valer said any work done on the car recently ?
Had a cam shaft sensor replaced to fix the p0014 issue which seemingly worked but don't know if they'd have had to losen any bolts..

I need to drive over the next few days. I'm praying it doesn't conk out.

I'm devastated to be honest because it's one thing after another.

Really appreciate the advice

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Had a cam shaft sensor replaced to fix the p0014 issue which seemingly worked but don't know if they'd have had to losen any bolts..

I need to drive over the next few days. I'm praying it doesn't conk out.

I'm devastated to be honest because it's one thing after another.

Really appreciate the advice

Thanks.
No problem at all , as a matter of interest what engine do you have ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just an observation but yet another garage changing cam sensors for a P0011/P0014 codes when the codes are for the cam solenoids/phasers circuits and likely the cam sensors reporting correctly 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
1.4 turbo mate. Read awful things on here about them. Wish I never bothered.
I should of checked your thread header…it says 1.4 turbo my apologies.
Yes many many issues with them , I’ve owned the 1.0 + 1.6t - all good. I’m not in the market for a k now as I’ve got a Ford puma but from company vehicle experience can’t recommend the 1.4t. They were early models though .Saying that next doors 68 plate 1.4t engine has gone…LSPI and now fighting for compensation .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should of checked your thread header…it says 1.4 turbo my apologies.
Yes many many issues with them , I’ve owned the 1.0 + 1.6t - all good. I’m not in the market for a k now as I’ve got a Ford puma but from company vehicle experience can’t recommend the 1.4t. They were early models though .Saying that next doors 68 plate 1.4t engine has gone…LSPI and now fighting for compensation .
Thanks for your input mate.

Is it OK to drive? I know that's a question you probably can't answer. But I Can't get booked into a garage until Monday. I've got to do about 150 miles between now and then.

The car drives competely fine. No loss of power or awful noise.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks for your input mate.

Is it OK to drive? I know that's a question you probably can't answer. But I Can't get booked into a garage until Monday. I've got to do about 150 miles between now and then.

The car drives competely fine. No loss of power or awful noise.
I cant answer that I’m afraid but if it was mine I would keep journeys to absolute minimums.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I've fixed the issue.

I have marked it as red on the attached photo. That clip had came loose and was not connected. I've connected it and the Eml has went off.

Hopefully that's it sorted and fixed and no idea how that had happened.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts