Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

A week ago I ordered a brand new Astra 1.4 TURBO SPORTS-TOURER which I will receive in 2-3 months.
Its the innovation model with automatic transmission.

However while waiting for it I have been reading some not so great stories about this car and faulty engines. LSPI, turbos not working proberly etc.

I will use this car for normal use but also tow a 1300kg caravan with it.

Should I be concerned about this, or have these problems been fixed?

Im kinda worried that the engine might fail and even worse if it does after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Problem is you could join any forum and you'd never buy a new car ever again...My thinking is how many 1.4 Vauxhall's are on the road against how many failures...never knew anything about LSPI before joining this site but by reading things it look like it affects any smaller engined turbo cars so basically any manufacturer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It was less likely to happen on automatics from the start, combine that with the new oil and the ECU update, and I wouldn't be too concerned about a new one in that configuration.

Used 1.4s are a different story....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Not forgetting a lot of people come on forums to complain about car running issues. What about the majority of people out there that don't.
You have 3 years manufacturers warranty which you could extend for longer if required.
I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
BRUCE225 said:
Problem is you could join any forum and you'd never buy a new car ever again...My thinking is how many 1.4 Vauxhall's are on the road against how many failures...never knew anything about LSPI before joining this site but by reading things it look like it affects any smaller engined turbo cars so basically any manufacturer.
I posted similar way back last summer, one or two people on here were acting like it was a widespread issue with the 1.4T engines failing just because of the posts on this forum about LSPI but you can't base anything on some posts on a forum.

I very much doubt every 1.4t owner is a member on this site and usually people only post on a forum to ask about problems, you don't get people posting about how great their car is, well not usually lol

My 1.4T is one of the early built ones, car was first registered in Jan 2016 and had covered just under 10k when I purchased it used so my car was running on dexos 2 for the first 18 months of it's life, I had the oil changed to the new recommended oil a few months after I brought it but the engine hasn't missed a beat from the first day of ownership and it's still running sweet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also love my year old 1.4 turbo. Just dont shift too early with the caravan so the engine has enough power to drag the caravan and i wouldnt worry too much.

Update: saw it is an automatic so i wouldnt worry at all

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay sounds great. I'm a bit more relaxed now. 😊
I'm from Denmark, we only get 2 years warranty afaik but I will sign an extended one for the years after that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would be more concerned about the AT. Not unusually with high oil temp when towing, but may only be a problem in hilly terrain outside Denmark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm from Norway and no issues with either LSPI or high oil temp. when towing in hilly terrain. Got 25000 km on my 2017 model astra tourer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the engine warning light come on. Took the car to my local garage who couldn't find the problem so it was taken to the vauxhall dealer for a diagnostic check. The engine is unrepairable, apparently it's a known problem with the K series 1.4 Turbo engine. The car is a 66 plate with full service history and only 26,000 miles on the clock and has been well looked after. If these engines were known by Vauxhall to be faulty why didn't they recall them? Now I'm facing the prospect of forking out for a new engine, do I have any rights? Will Vauxhall help me out or is it tough luck?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
On a 66 plate I don't think you will get anywhere unless you have had it serviced by the same dealer and on good terms with them.
Maybe a very small gesture but hardly noticeable against engine price.
Best bet is a 2nd hand one from a scrappy then get it fitted by a decent independent otherwise VX will sting you for ££££.
Sorry it's not what you want to hear but all too common on this engine and in the forum we hear about it all the time.

Agree VX should of done something re recall etc but that would of bankrupt them so have just wriggled out of it with an ecu update and a different oil.

I've mentioned it on here for a few years about our lease vehicles , had all updates & oil but engines still went bang. What's worse the new engines fitted by VX in 2 cars also went bang after a year or so.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Owen123 said:
I recently had the engine warning light come on. Took the car to my local garage who couldn't find the problem so it was taken to the vauxhall dealer for a diagnostic check. The engine is unrepairable, apparently it's a known problem with the K series 1.4 Turbo engine. The car is a 66 plate with full service history and only 26,000 miles on the clock and has been well looked after. If these engines were known by Vauxhall to be faulty why didn't they recall them? Now I'm facing the prospect of forking out for a new engine, do I have any rights? Will Vauxhall help me out or is it tough luck?
I'm sorry to hear about your engine issues.
Do you have a full vauxhall service history? How long have you owned your car and did you buy it from a garage? Even then I'd expect you'd only have a small chance of a contribution made from vauxhall customer services.
Yes they should cover the cost of a new engine, but very doubtful they would. Profits first I'm afraid ahead of customer service.
I'd be tempted to source a good used engine if you were thinking about keeping it. Otherwise you could be looking at 5k plus for a new engine from vaux, fitted, unfortunately.
The 2018 on engines seem to be largely unaffected, but I think this engine was also discontinued 2020 on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just got my 2017 1.4 turbo SRi back today complete with new engine. Bought it from a Vauxhall dealer with 27000 miles and 3 months warranty left on it. Bought the extended warranty from Vauxhall (£282). Noticed the clutch dipping after turning right on a roundabout so asked the dealer to take a look. They confirmed the problem, dealt with the Vauxhall warranty people and less than a month later I have a new engine. If I hadn't taken out the extended warranty I think it would have cost around £4000 to replace the engine. This problem wouldn't put me off buying another Astra but I definitely recommend taking out the extended warranty with Vauxhall. I wouldn't have enjoyed negotiating with a 3rd party warranty company that was trying to get out of paying for an engine. As has been said by others, I'm sure this problem isn't just a Vauxhall issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts