Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all just wondering how many people have issues or have had issues with their car. I have had a Astra Elite Nav for seven days with 13,000 miles on the clock die on me.

After a few days investigation the delar said that the piston in chamber one had and issue and the removed it see picture attached.

The ring around the top of the piston had broken.

I am told that they are going to replace all four pistons and the chamber or bore is fine. Up to know this has taken three weeks and still not had my car back as they have not completed the work.

Symptoms were hard to start off for a few days then ended up with amber engine management light and emissions light came on

I wounder how many other people have had similar issues ?

Also can other people let me know what mileage you have on your cars.

Does Vauxhall have a big issue with this engine.

Shout up everyone

wakman

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
You are definitely not the first! Enjoy browsing this subject on the forum, will keep you occupied until your car is fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say lugged you mean like up an hill in wrong gear type thing. Why would lugging cause an issue ?

it is a 66 plate with 13,000 miles on sounded ok when i got it drove it ok for a week and then just went.

Interested to see how man other people have same issue or how many miles other people have got on their cars

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
morgoth said:
Problem is you can't really judge about how rare or not an issue is just by how many posts have been made on a forum about it, when you consider how many members there are in this forum for example compared to how many 1.4t that Vauxhall have probably sold. Not to mention most people don't tend to join a forum to rave about how great their car is, not saying that never happens but I expect 95% will decide to post on a forum about a problem they're having & that can kind of distort the picture of just how common any issue is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry, but I fully disagree that we can't judge about how rare is the case.

My engine only last for less tan 5.000 miles since brand new.

In my whole live I have seen something similar, with so many broken engines, last more astonishing were BMW and their N47 engines, and VAG with their first 2.0 TDI, but not at this level of cases of broken engines with so low mileage. They broke at 80-90k miles, ok, lets say that they missed something in their design or manufacturing.

The key here is: Opel/Vauxhall or GM, is the same for me, decided to design an engine in CHINA, and the results are really well known. SAIC engine into your Opels/Vauxhalls, I think there is nothing else to comment. I really doubt that we could see one of this engines with 80-90k miles.

And now, with the guarantees, despite they are trying to change oil, SW, and everything else before changing the engine, they have to pay x5 their stupid idea with these Chinese engines.

I don't know how is posible to be not forbiden to be sold this engines, we are talking about more ecologic way of life and production, and they are wasting so much production of pieces, engines, cars, etc... because if a car can't be driven for more tan 3-4 years, I can't really see the difference in pollution between an old diesel running, or this overproduction of sh*t.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
This ain't SAIC engine they just manufacture them for Buicks sold in China. Opel developed the engines , they have built engine testing facility specially for these new engines in 2013. TSI has similar problems, especially 1.2TSI.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just for confirmation the 1.4T with manual gearbox suffer with LSPI and resulting in this issue with broken pistons/engine.

Does the same engine with automatic gearbox suffer the same issues, if not for what reason does this setup perform OK?

Lastly, why doesn't the 1.6T suffer with LSPI the same as the 1.4T ?

DP

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Cars with auto gearboxes don't have these problems because gearbox doesn't allow the engine to be lugged, nobody knows why 1.6T and 1.0T don't have problems, could be bad ECU mapping for 1.4T.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1.0T does have the same issues as well. It's been reported even on this forum. 1.6T is complete different design plus with increasing the engine volume LSPI is less likely to occur.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Regarding the auto/manual gear boxes, in my opinion, there is not the difference between lugging or not the engine, because the car always tries to change as son as posible to an upper gear again due to pollution norms, the key is that the gear shift is done much faster, and the revs don't variate too much.

And in my case, this was my 4th car, always had petrol engines, and I believe that I should know how to drive it. I'm sorry, but can't accept that I have used it incorrectly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
supersport said:
Hi,

Regarding the auto/manual gear boxes, in my opinion, there is not the difference between lugging or not the engine, because the car always tries to change as son as posible to an upper gear again due to pollution norms, the key is that the gear shift is done much faster, and the revs don't variate too much.

And in my case, this was my 4th car, always had petrol engines, and I believe that I should know how to drive it. I'm sorry, but can't accept that I have used it incorrectly.
I have read this 3 times but can't get what you are trying to say, can you put it in simple mans terms?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i went to see the garage and found that they have not yet got the pistons back in the car. So at this point i have nothing to report.

Thank you all for you points and comments. It's is still beyond me that Vauxhall have this engine probably in most Astras. if you look at engine choices most would have gone for 1.4T engine and i think that there must be a lot of 1.4T engines on the road.

I personally think Vauxhall are going to very busy over the next year. If anyone from Vauxhall would like to comment.

I have emailed customer Service and not had anything back yet, but it's only 1 working day. I will keep you all posted on what happens

Wakman

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll comment but keep in mind I only work as a Service Advisor for Vauxhall so my comments and opinions in no way represent those of Vauxhall.

I personally own a 1.4 Turbo Astra K and I am slightly worried.

We've seen about five 1.4 Turbo Astra K's in the Workshop so far for this issue. All present with Engine/Emission light on and juddering/misfire or ESC (Electronic Stability Control) warning on dashboard. Fault code is usually 'P0300 Engine Misfire' stored in the ECU. Usually we would suspect an ignition coil at this stage. However when compression tested 1 of the cylinders is usually down and that's when we strip engine. Normal outcome is entirely new engine required. 4 out of the 5 have needed new engines, 1 was repairable. All of them have the same damaged piston much like in the photograph shown. We have two on a shelf at work as memento's. Not always the same piston each time, we've mainly had cylinder 1 but also a cylinder 3.

My own vehicle has suffered no issues but it is very low mileage 7,493 on the clock. In addition mine is a bit of a test case really as I've looked after it far too much, almost obsessively. I've had the Oil & Filter changed every 6 months. At the 6 month mark (Dexos 2), 12 months for 1st service (Dexos 2) and 6 months again after that I changed it to the new Dexos 1, Gen 2 as soon as it came out. I have also had the Coolant & Spark Plugs completely changed for brand new fresh fluid and genuine plugs. All the data readings on my car are fine as far as our diagnostic technician can see. I've only ever used the Premium Shell V Power fuel since I had the car.

Reading about LSPI online it seems to be a combination of things and the motor industry has struggled with it for a while. Low RON/quality fuel, Oil and Oil Additives and Driving Conditions. So as somebody who works with cars I am genuinely curious to see how long my engine lasts. I will be purchasing a full extended warranty with Network Q the moment it leaves warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car has had the same issue I think, I have been told 2-3 weeks wait time for them to "fix" it. Once it's back I will let you know.

Happened just after 1st service so just over 1 year old and about 12500 miles.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ArcanumFox said:
I'll comment but keep in mind I only work as a Service Advisor for Vauxhall so my comments and opinions in no way represent those of Vauxhall.

I personally own a 1.4 Turbo Astra K and I am slightly worried.

We've seen about five 1.4 Turbo Astra K's in the Workshop so far for this issue. All present with Engine/Emission light on and juddering/misfire or ESC (Electronic Stability Control) warning on dashboard. Fault code is usually 'P0300 Engine Misfire' stored in the ECU. Usually we would suspect an ignition coil at this stage. However when compression tested 1 of the cylinders is usually down and that's when we strip engine. Normal outcome is entirely new engine required. 4 out of the 5 have needed new engines, 1 was repairable. All of them have the same damaged piston much like in the photograph shown. We have two on a shelf at work as memento's. Not always the same piston each time, we've mainly had cylinder 1 but also a cylinder 3.

My own vehicle has suffered no issues but it is very low mileage 7,493 on the clock. In addition mine is a bit of a test case really as I've looked after it far too much, almost obsessively. I've had the Oil & Filter changed every 6 months. At the 6 month mark (Dexos 2), 12 months for 1st service (Dexos 2) and 6 months again after that I changed it to the new Dexos 1, Gen 2 as soon as it came out. I have also had the Coolant & Spark Plugs completely changed for brand new fresh fluid and genuine plugs. All the data readings on my car are fine as far as our diagnostic technician can see. I've only ever used the Premium Shell V Power fuel since I had the car.

Reading about LSPI online it seems to be a combination of things and the motor industry has struggled with it for a while. Low RON/quality fuel, Oil and Oil Additives and Driving Conditions. So as somebody who works with cars I am genuinely curious to see how long my engine lasts. I will be purchasing a full extended warranty with Network Q the moment it leaves warranty.
Hi
You and me both concerned , I also have the 1.4 T
When you say you had the spark plugs changed are they cooler running plugs?

I am glad gm don't manufacture jet engines for aircraft

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I wonder if a new engine would be worry free??

1 - 20 of 266 Posts