Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate that it is best to plug an iPhone into the USB socket with cable to use CarPlay which offers certain apps such as maps, music and phone on the car's display.

Apple also support wireless CarPlay via Bluetooth but this was only introduced recently in iOS 9 and I understand the New Astra doesn't support it.

How well does the iPhone work via standard Bluetooth, without CarPlay? For short journeys I prefer to keep my iPhone in my pocket so i don't leave it behind. If I do that and pair it via Bluetooth, I guess I can select the Bluetooth Audio input to listen to music or Siri maps directions?

How is Siri activated though? Is there a steering wheel or dashboard button that I can press to make Siri listen?

Where is the microphone? Is it in the dashboard or above the windscreen?

How reliable is Siri at recognising instructions while driving? (I find it depends a lot on the position of the microphone).

·
Registered
495 Posts
if you hold the voice command button on the steering wheel for a few seconds you get siri instead of the vauxhall command system, it seems very good to me and the Bluetooth connection is great in fact if I unplug mine from the usb it connects to Bluetooth almost immediately

as for the microphone they are located near the internal lights as far as i know, bluetooth audio works very well all be it slightly quite than when it is plugged in

hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's really useful.

What does the 'Smartphone Projection' feature offer? Does it work with an iPhone?

How easy is it to listen to the radio while using CarPlay? Is the tuner available within CarPlay or do you need to exit CarPlay to access it? Do the iPhone navigation features still work while listening to the radio? Does the iPhone voice direction play over the radio and is the map still visible?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Smartphone Projection is the umbrella name for CarPlay & Android Auto, if you connect your iPhone with CarPlay the button should be replaced with the CarPlay one, certainly on my car when I connect my android phone it's replaced by an AndroidAuto button.

When using Android Auto you can switch radio stations and wavebands using the steering wheel controls, so CarPlay would work the same way I would assume. Again I can use Google maps for navigation and still listen to the radio, or music from the phone. The navigation voice plays over the radio or music, lowering the sound of that source while the satnav is talking, and the map stays on screen all the time.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i can confirm the car play is pretty much similar cant say i have used maps on my phone as i have the satnav unit anyway but everything else seems good and the fact you can listen to your messages and reply is great shame you cant do that with email yet but im sure it will come

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought original cable from GM for poweflex adapter on my astra k but car play does not work when a use it. When i connect my phone with iphone charging cable through armrest usb car play works. Does anybody have this problem do you know how to fix it. I want to use carplay through powerflex so my armrest usb will be free to play music. Iphone 6s

·
Registered
331 Posts
nqgolov said:
I want to use carplay through powerflex so my armrest usb will be free to play music. Iphone 6s
You cannot do this - the powerflex bar only provides power (hence the name). If you take a look at the infotainment manual, it does state that you need to plug the device into the USB socket in the armrest if you want to use CarPlay. This socket will also support music from your iPhone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I understand his POV. I mean, that's a place to keep your phone while driving but to connect to projection you still need a cable from the arm rest to the power flex bar (where you keep your phone resting).
I wonder if this something that could be changed in MY17

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have an iPhone 6 and don't have a powerflex bar.
My phone sits nicely in the little recess where powerflex bar would be anyway.
I have a black lightening cable that runs out of the arm rest compartment (there are two little cut outs for cables to run without being crushed). Standard cable length is perfect to reach the phone. Doesn't look untidy at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello All,

Do you know what I can do with Apple car play in AstraK?
Can I stream youtube videos? I tried but I get only sound and grey screen with youtube text in corner and no image.
How about navigation on phone, is it working only with IOS maps app?

I use waze a lot, can it be used in carplay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You can play videos on screen but has to be on a USB stick, plugged into USB port. Won't let you play YouTube through your phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use it to answer text messages on the go using the Siri function.

·
Registered
383 Posts
alecsandes said:
AdieMcc said:
You can play videos on screen but has to be on a USB stick, plugged into USB port. Won't let you play YouTube through your phone.
Hi AdieMcc,
Thanks for answer.

So what is the purpose of the carplay then?

Really, is there anyone who uses it for something?
I use pretty much all of it. Apple maps. Reply to texts. Phone. iPod.
Would be nice if google maps was allowed as I think it's far superior to apples version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts