Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
big hello to everyone...some may know me from another site and some may not......but has anyone traded an Astra J 1.6 n/a and purchased a K 1.0 turbo??

Any feed back would be welcome as in the New Year we are looking to trade our J in for a K but we are a little undecided as to which engine to choose, on paper the 1.0 t looks like a good compromise between performance and economy, but vauxhall web site states the 1.6 turbo will do 7.9 litres/100km....if this is the case then this could be an option as it is better than our 1.6 (which is remapped) and showing 8.1litres/100km which is bang on the official figures vauxhall states for our car.

if anyone has any hands on experience of any of the current turbo petrols can you share your thoughts on them? are they as economical as vauxhall state?
does the 1.0 turbo feel underpowered at all?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I test drove the 1.0 turbo and felt quite nippy the sales guy said it was great on fuel but compared to the 1.4 (150) turbo K I have you can tell the extra 45 bhp and even though I have t hit 1000 miles yet I'm averaging 36 mpg which hopefully will increase a little

Previous to the K I had a 2.0 diesel GTC and to be fair the K I have now feels just as quick even though that had 165bhp but was considerably heavier and even though I could get 60mpg on a good run around town was appalling averaging around 32mpg

Hope this helps a little which ever Astra K you choose the build quality is so much more superior

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've got the 1.0 and to me it doesn't feel underpowered. It's not as lazy as driving a torquey diesel, need to drop it into 4th to overtake quickly from 50 for example, but after 1300 miles I'm enjoying it. Mine is struggling to get anywhere near the book figures at the moment, still only averaging 45mpg. If it doesn't get better soon I may have to have a quiet word with the dealer, not sure it'll do any good though. I do usually manage with my other (older) cars I've owned to return the book average so I'll be annoyed if i don't get close to it with this.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for you responses...45mpg for the 1.0 seems pretty good but like you say you can usually get the book average that Vauxhall state so maybe it just needs a few more miles to loosen up a little.

Must admit the performance of the 1.4T is very good compared to the older model....the only thing that is worrying me regarding the 1.4 and 1.6 (including the diesels is the M32 gearbox....does anyone know if this has been upgraded/modified before fitting into the K?? reason I am asking is I had a 13plate 1.4T before the 1.6vvti. The M32 box failed with relatively low mileage so at the moment I am leaning towards the 1.0turbo as this has the 5-speed box....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd try and get a test drive in a 1.0 if I were you and see what you think. I came to it from a Citroen C5 2.2HDi which possibly had a faulty EGR valve as the 1.0 Astra pulls better and is quicker than it. I had a 2001 Mini Cooper before that and the Astra isn't as quick as that, but it doesn't seem far off, and it's nearly as much fun to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts