Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer invited me to another loyalty event to showcase the new Astra L. Another glitzy envelope and razamataz invite plus executive name tags for two. I decided to take them up and see what they could do to match my asperations. To do them a favour, I decided to give them a heads up on what I like as follows:

"What to replace my manual, 200 BHP, 1.6 Petrol Turbo, Astra K SRI NAV Sports Tourer?

I do not want many of the features being offered by many brands - things like: key-less car entry (security issues here), emergency brake assist, lane keeping, blind spot monitoring, push button starting, boot with fixed rear seats, 18 to 20 inch tyres - done that, electronic handbrake (various roll away and other issues here), run flat tyres, self parking, cold leather seats - done that, engines that remember how you drive, ridiculous double pull door opening on BMWs, dowdy colours like VW and Audi's, high servicing costs of Premium brands - done that, non opening panoramic sun roof, fiddly screen controlled secondary services - A/C etc., handbooks only available online like Volvo's, screens instead of proper instruments, excessive safety aids, cars that have looked the same for ages, excessively downsized engines, a long bonnet, tricky to get into rear seats like a Jaguar XE, cars that bash your head as you get into the driver's seat, cramped cars like a small or medium Lexus, engines that shut down cylinders or do other things when they feel like it.

Having had a great Sports Estate. I want the space and pace of an 4.5 to 4.7 metre Sports SUV/Estate for ~£25k. Height 1.55 to 1.65 metres.

I do want a light interior, plenty of external brightwork and good bright colour options, an electric opening sunroof, wheel locks, mudflaps, car mats all round, good forward and rear sightlines, no rear threequarters sightline issues, front wheel drive or front biased four wheel drive, chunky tyres, good mileage (45 to 50 mpg), fast acceleration (0-60mph in 7 to 7.5 secs), slippery shape (0.23 to 0.24 Cd), composed quiet ride, good handling, incisive steering, light weight (<1275 kg), cab forward design, heated steering wheel and front seats, AGR front seats (both with height adjustment), manual airconditioning, no stop start or easily disabled, no particulate filter, petrol engine/hybrid (5kWhr battery).

As well, I do want a car with a petrol turbo SIDI engine (fewer pollutants)/hybrid 180 to 256 HP, hatchback, true automatic with Torque converter - not DCT car, a zippy engine with loads of torque - which doesn't make a fuss on acceleration - and just delivers, an opening sunroof, a built in SatNav, an actual spare wheel, a manual pull up handbrake, heated seats and steering wheel, fog lights, mud flaps, a decent colour selection, tinted rear windows, a fresh design, all round parking sensors, a Tax band around £165, a low insurance group - Group 21 and I also fancy a local dealer so I can walk home from leaving it for servicing rather than servicing being a whole day event.
I am aware of Opel's newly developed for PSA SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection ) Petrol Turbo engines. Is this available for the Astra L? Update: Answer was don't know.

In 2016 I ordered the manual, 200 BHP, 1.6 Petrol Turbo, Astra K SRI NAV Sports Tourer - to give me 0-60 in 7.2 sec pace, 35 to 40 mpg (actually 44.5 mpg oveerall from new), 146 g/km, £145 annual car tax - and which, with my options, gave me all of what I was looking for less than the price I had paid for my petrol Mazda CX 7 nine years earlier. The bargain of the century, with well presented and selectable driving aids - resulting in a group 19 Insurance for a 146 mph car doing 50 mpg at 63-75mph on the motorway - it even included the on board WiFi router and OnStar remote diagnostics and instant Personal support that was new to me! Better still Vauxhall were fourth in the latest UK car reliability survey by J D Power behind Skoda, Kia and Suzuki and the Astra Sports Tourer is built in the UK at Ellesmere Port. Surprisingly my Astra K Sports Tourer, seats down. carrying capacity is more than 100 litres larger than that of the £37k, Volvo V90 estate which is 200 mm longer!"

The net result from the Sales manager was that they no longer do opening sunrooves across the range or can meet anywhere near my composite criteria. Vx seem to have given up on the enthusiastic, performance SRI type customers. All UK Vx cars are to be electric only by 2026. Also, the government grant for electic scars was totally abandonned the other week.

I do hope that government dictat does not put UK car manufacturers like Vx out of business. I do suppose they still support the 2 million strong motability fleet however so perhaps VX are chasing that market, not private customers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can’t believe Vx expect consumers to pay the asking price.
I didn’t look at HP or lease prices, but the cars in the forecourt were more money than say a comparable Toyota or Volvo - both I see personally as more luxury car. (And would swap to one if I got paid more!)
We had a 2ltr Corrola hybrid at work, was comfy, very good on fuel and I think the power was comparable to the 1.6turbo. Certainly felt the kick from the hybrid motors. And a quick look at the website shows a mid spec one with the big engine is less that the new Astra.

I think you must me right, that vx are looking to target a different market - because they definitely don’t capture me in the current brand anymore at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
I think Vauxhall/Stellantis need to prove their reliability before they start asking top prices for their Astra's.
It's always an expensive time to buy new when a model first comes out. There would be bargains to be had later during their production run, once most of the tech gremlins would be sorted out.
I'd expect a high depreciation, too. If it follows previous Astras, so buying used may also be a good idea at a discounted future price, if an Astra was your choice. Plenty of other manufacturers now to choose from with longer manufacturer warranties from standard.
I wasn't keen on the toggle auto gear switch (auto model), some of the cheap lower dash plastics.
I won't be buying or leasing a new one :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had a phone call from the dealer a few months ago, asking if I'd be interested in part exchanging my 1.6T against a new car. Went something like this:

Me: "You don't do the 200hp 1.6 turbo any more do you?"
Them: "No, we don't but there's a new 1.6 turbo hybrid coming along soon!"
Me: "But it's about a second slower to 60 and has a lower top speed. Anyway, I've just added a very comprehensive 3 year RAC warranty and breakdown cover to the GM 1.6T"
Them: "Oh, OK. Thank you for your time. If you decide to change your mind, please give us a call."

The new one has the aesthetics of a breeze block, a really naff looking interior and I cannot see the point of buying a French engineered car when I can get a better Toyota or Kia for less money?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I had a phone call from the dealer a few months ago, asking if I'd be interested in part exchanging my 1.6T against a new car. Went something like this:

Me: "You don't do the 200hp 1.6 turbo any more do you?"
Them: "No, we don't but there's a new 1.6 turbo hybrid coming along soon!"
Me: "But it's about a second slower to 60 and has a lower top speed. Anyway, I've just added a very comprehensive 3 year RAC warranty and breakdown cover to the GM 1.6T"
Them: "Oh, OK. Thank you for your time. If you decide to change your mind, please give us a call."

The new one has the aesthetics of a breeze block, a really naff looking interior and I cannot see the point of buying a French engineered car when I can get a better Toyota or Kia for less money?
Totally agree with all above , just ain’t worth the money .

·
Registered
195 Posts
A bit of bmw 1 series , Seat Leon , Ford Focus etc etc in design , all going the same way.
Out of the lot I’d take a seat Leon FR 150 .
Nail on the head.

I think it’s got the worst bit of the 1 series (the back)
The worst of the focus (the hight of the car)
And the unoriginality of the Leon (which in itself looks like the 1series)

Plus less power, lower economy and the reputation that goes with Stellantis…

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think if you want 0-60 in 7.2secs again the best VX can offer at present matching this is a £39900 2.0 insignia !!!! followed by a corsa e (£27-30k) @ 7.6 secs. Where are the fast hot hatches from yesteryear gone with VX ?
Ford , Seat , vw , Hyundai to name a few are still selling them. Or like above said are they targeting a different market ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
It was always going to be downhill when the SRi didn't get slightly lowered suspension and a recalibrated steering rack.
Can't imagine that the GM designed Insignia has got much time left? Anyone for a rebadged Pugly 508?

The fact that GM Europe didn't produce a halo car (GSi or VXR) meant that one of the (slightly hooligan) USP of the Astra was gone.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I' m more like "I cannot see the point of buying a French engineered car"

But if i wanted a Peugeot 308 i would probably buy the Peugeot 308, and not the rebranded Peugeot :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. Your replies pretty well confirmed things - my Astra K 1.6 SRI petrol turbo ST car is a keeper and can never be replaced. Perhaps it's going to be a modern classic from pre particulate filter days. I guess it should run indefinarely - it's only done 24k miles in six years and the engine is designed for a 150,00 mile life. Spares, and LRUs should be available for a long time with so many Astra K being made.

I did toy with the 23MY Toyota Corolla Touring Sports, but the new performnce 2 litre will only be available middle of next year. Totota also seem to be in a spiral of multiple electronic aids leading to a costly car, which is no looker, too low and has not received good reviews in this thread or anywhere yet. Corolla Cross is pure ugly.

The Dacia jogger seems more likely if they do a light interior (can't tell from online), particularly if it ever comes out with a reliable Renault 1.6 petrol turbo hybrid engine (are renault 1.6 petrol turbos reliable, I wonder?).

They would still not be as good as my present car IMHO.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Toyota sports tourer 2.0 was one I tried,is the my23 available with a manual box?The current model that I tried as I’ve said before was ruined by that dreadful cvt gearbox.A lot of noise,an engine revving it’s nuts off with little discernible increase in speed and every slight touch of the accelerator meant that awful noise which was akin to driving a car with a slipping clutch.I may have been tempted by a manual dependent on price of course.But as has been said there’s little out there that compares favourably.I did toy with the idea of a Skoda Octavia vrs but I’m reluctant to have a car with a 2 litre engine and a group 30 odd insurance group.So to conclude the Astra stays for a while yet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
@Finston Pickle Yes, same here - the car's 6.5 years old (no GPF) and it's only done 20780 miles or something silly. At the moment, there's absolutely nothing worth changing it for.
Service costs of £237 this year (independent), insurance was £170 (I paid an extra tenner on top for the guaranteed courtesy car, drive another car with you own fully comp insurance, etc.) and general running MPG is about 36-38 (no long runs - when it does it nudges upper 40s!)
Warranty and breakdown cover takes it up until its 9th birthday in Jan 2025 so maybe by then the electric cars or hydrogen power will have taken over from petrol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts