Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Astra CDTi Sri Nav 2018
161 Posts
The tech info for the K mentions both types
but there's a big sticker on the slam panel under the bonnet that tells you what your car has.
To be honest, I've found the Astra K's Aircon to be the best I've ever had. Doesn't take too long to kick in and always so nice and cold.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Valer The local garage that did my service recently charge £60 for R134A or £100 for R1234YF. They mention that on vehicles manufactured after 2017, you have to use the R1234YF so do we know which one the Astra K uses?
£99 for a YF regas sounds a good price, £179 at the stealers.
Outside temperature today showing on display as 39c. Still cool as a cucumber, currently sat in an air conditioned cinema for the next 2+ hours.:love:
It's a cool 36c in the shade up north:ROFLMAO:Hope you enjoy the movie.
I spoke too soon, it's up to 38c now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm not an expert on AC (like most things - lol) but I have seen some vids on YT that seem to point to being able to use the R134A instead of the R1234YF as long as the system is completely evacuated of the R1234YF first.

Mind you, I also saw some comedian regassing his own car DIY, screwed it up coz he was using cheap gear and only just got away with completely knackering the AC system :ROFLMAO: .

Dunno if I would risk £1000's in damage to save £100 :eek:

There is also the fact that apparently, you have to have a safety certificate to handle the gas. Knowing my luck, if I tried it DIY I'd have a neighbour who was a member of HSA and get nicked :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Have a read of this Boroboy,

All the lads I work with have commented on their car's ac system not being as cold as normal in this extreme heat. I would judge your system later in the week when normal blighty summer temps come back.
Most of these compressors in modern cars are variable swash plate type for fuel saving, not simply clutch on/off type so much anymore. The ecu may even limit pwm in extreme heat as it does stop the ac from working in extreme lower temps.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Have a read of this Boroboy,

All the lads I work with have commented on their car's ac system not being as cold as normal in this extreme heat. I would judge your system later in the week when normal blighty summer temps come back.
Most of these compressors in modern cars are variable swash plate type for fuel saving, not simply clutch on/off type so much anymore. The ecu may even limit pwm in extreme heat as it does stop the ac from working in extreme lower temps.
@Redman I can't open your link?
Interesting as it seems to work OK up to outside temperatures of around 25c, at 30c and above it's hopeless.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Opens for me every time. Here is a table from the article and humidity plays a big part. We had 37c in my part of blighty yesterday and today is supposed to be in the lower 20s, have a look at the difference between the measured vent aircon temps at those ambient temps (right hand column).
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Opens for me every time. Here is a table from the article and humidity plays a big part. We had 37c in my part of blighty yesterday and today is supposed to be in the lower 20s, have a look at the difference between the measured vent aircon temps at those ambient temps (right hand column). View attachment 8905
At 30c my Aircon felt as though it was blowing air maybe within the 20's, although without testing it, I wouldn't know for sure. I have a thermometer at work which I could use, but the ambient air temperature outside has now dropped. At a guess I'd say it just needs a regas. I'll see what the dealer says when it's in for its service, as no doubt they'll check it, too. It certainly does not feel as though it's getting down to 6c, either when it's 20c outside, although it feels cool, as 6c is the upper limits of a fridge temperature.
Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I've just performed a very basic test on my Aircon temp. It's 21c outside today, used my garden thermometer, with my circulation button pressed in. I gained a reading of 10c, so it's low, but presumably I'd of thought that it should have read at about 6-9c? Obviously I could have done with a better one with a probe on the end so that you could stick it into the vent, but I did leave mine for 5 minutes, pressed up tight against the vent.
Temperature Household thermometer Measuring instrument Font Gauge

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You need to take the humidity into account as well,not sure what is is where you are but currently sitting at 55% here
It was at around 60%. So at that it looks as though, it was close to where it should be (9c), but when the outside temp was at around 32c, my aircon was no where near cool enough. Although I didn't check it with a thermostat. Comparing it like for like with the mini, the mini's aircon was far cooler.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It was at around 60%. So at that it looks as though, it was close to where it should be (9c), but when the outside temp was at around 32c, my aircon was no where near cool enough. Although I didn't check it with a thermostat. Comparing it like for like with the mini, the mini's aircon was far cooler.
That article in the link comments on a lot of the ac cooling ability is lost drying the moisture out of the air with high humidity.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have been thinking about this and recall some aztra k owners have complained about warmer air than expected entering the cabin when the hvac is set to low or cold. The mixer flaps and servo/steppermotor may not fully shut off at times, causing some heat to mix when not required.
Boroboy have you felt the temp or measured it at the pipe at the bulk head, where it enters the cabin from the engine bay? Also try turning the ac button off and leave hvac set at lowest temp with recirc on, see how hot it blows, it shouldn't be excessive.
If you have it regassed, hopefully they will be able to tell you how much weight of ac gas was recovered, to compare with what original weight was put in.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have been thinking about this and recall some aztra k owners have complained about warmer air than expected entering the cabin when the hvac is set to low or cold. The mixer flaps and servo/steppermotor may not fully shut off at times, causing some heat to mix when not required.
Boroboy have you felt the temp or measured it at the pipe at the bulk head, where it enters the cabin from the engine bay?
If you have it regassed, hopefully they will be able to tell you how much weight of ac gas was recovered, to compare with what original weight was put in.
I've took my car out for a long run today, outside temp 23c, Aircon on and very cool inside, I had to turn it up, as we were getting too cool:ROFLMAO:
When the temperature outside was over 30c, it's the only time that I've ever notice my Aircon not perform well enough.
I've not measured the temp at the bulkhead, but since our extreme heatwave it's worked well.
I'll wait to see what they say at the dealers when it goes in soon for its service. I don't want to have it regassed their at £179 if it makes no difference.
Thanks or the info.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts