Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried it using the air recirc button ?
Makes no difference.
Bad news - 36degrees yesterday and mine was cool as a cucumber…
Was still able to keep up, but I have a hatch, if you have an ST it may be the extra space it’s struggling to cool down?

Shame we arnt able to regas at home for about£30 like with the old gas! ☹
No mine that is the hatch version, I'm not as cool as a cucumber:ROFLMAO:Yes I think a regas has gone up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Outside temperatures have been shown as 36-37 when I was out earlier today. Cool as a cucumber here but i did have the vents aimed at my face and not at the footwell. Sorry :oops: to hear you're feeling the heat.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outside temperatures have been shown as 36-37 when I was out earlier today. Cool as a cucumber here but i did have the vents aimed at my face and not at the footwell. Sorry :oops: to hear you're feeling the heat.
It's only 33c in the shade up north today:ROFLMAO:I think my Aircon needs a regas, first one on 5 years, so hasn't done too badly. I always have the vents aimed at my face within the summer, too. I'll have it checked when my car is in for a major service and mot within a couple of weeks time. As I have the extended warranty, think I'll have it regassed at the dealer. Otherwise I'd have took it to an independent.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
37° outside according to the temp display on the screen when I nipped out today Boro' and my aircon was blowing lovely cold air out so mebbe you're right and it's ready forra regas unfortunately. Was the same yesterday on both trips to/from the youngest lads near Bury St Edmunds and the display was showing 33° outside.

As an aside, I also got 47mpg out of the old girl overall (measured not Comp.) (y)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hi Boro , yeah I think it’s due a regas , although my car isnt an Astra as you know(Ford puma) it’s ice cold after a minute or so. My old Astra k was also nice and cold even at 3 yrs old. Around 35/36c down here in Bournemouth today and aircon a must in this weather.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hopefully my aircon will hold up, coming up for 6 years old. Old Astra G was re-gassed once in 13 years and even then it was half full :D
I'm thinking the same OldCodger as mine was registered Nov'16 so will be 6 then. It must help with it only having less than 20k on the clock so obviously not used much during it's history :)

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
37° outside according to the temp display on the screen when I nipped out today Boro' and my aircon was blowing lovely cold air out so mebbe you're right and it's ready forra regas unfortunately. Was the same yesterday on both trips to/from the youngest lads near Bury St Edmunds and the display was showing 33° outside.

As an aside, I also got 47mpg out of the old girl overall (measured not Comp.) (y)
47mpg is decent.
On 44.3mpg over the last 12k, so happy enough with that on E10.
I only get a car regassed when it needs it. I don't think it's a cheap job now, used to be. They must use the environmentally friendly stuff these days, no doubt.
I nearly went old school today and opened a window:ROFLMAO:
Hi Boro , yeah I think it’s due a regas , although my car isnt an Astra as you know(Ford puma) it’s ice cold after a minute or so. My old Astra k was also nice and cold even at 3 yrs old. Around 35/36c down here in Bournemouth today and aircon a must in this weather.
Yes I suppose it's going to fail when you need it the most during the hottest weather, unless we had it done every 2 years, which I don't.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Astra CDTi Sri Nav 2018
161 Posts
What should my Aircon vent temp be, when the outside temperature was above 30c?
As my Aircon seems to work well when the outside temperature is up to around 25c, once it's above 30c, it seems to struggle keeping the car cool & me:ROFLMAO:
I'm thinking it may need a regas.
I always use the recirculation button. Mine works fine at temps about 35 degrees Celsius, no issue. If you have extended warranty, they normally cover about £50 towards a regas. Or at least mine does anyway and I'm using one from a brand called One Car.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always use the recirculation button. Mine works fine at temps about 35 degrees Celsius, no issue. If you have extended warranty, they normally cover about £50 towards a regas. Or at least mine does anyway and I'm using one from a brand called One Car.
Yes my recirculation button makes no difference. Thanks for the info on the warranty and regas. Although I think a regas is now £179 from vaux, looking at their official website prices that is.
I have the vaux official extended warranty, don't think it covers a regas, although it would cover the compressor if one was required.
Looking around at the average price for a regas on the newer reg cars (17 plate on), was around £129, from independent garages etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes my recirculation button makes no difference. Thanks for the info on the warranty and regas. Although I think a regas is now £179 from vaux, looking at their official website prices that is.
I have the vaux official extended warranty, don't think it covers a regas, although it would cover the compressor if one was required.
Looking around at the average price for a regas on the newer reg cars (17 plate on), was around £129, from independent garages etc.
I assume you're from the UK right? There's loads of little places that do regases. It's usually tyre places I go who also do air con. Costs me £50 for a regas normally.

Hope you get it sorted though.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume you're from the UK right? There's loads of little places that do regases. It's usually tyre places I go who also do air con. Costs me £50 for a regas normally.

Hope you get it sorted though.
Yes I am, but I think 17 plate onward cars cost more now here within the U.K, to do with the environmentally friendly stuff they use. Last car I had a regas done on it cost me £45, think it was an Astra J.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes I am, but I think 17 plate onward cars cost more now here within the U.K, to do with the environmentally friendly stuff they use. Last car I had a regas done on it cost me £45, think it was an Astra J.
Maybe so yeah. Guy I go to Is someone I know so maybe he knocks off a few quid for me and I didn't realize hahaha.

Try a regas and if this doesn't work, could be a compressor issue, I really don't know air cons too well but it could be a good opportunity at that point to bring in your warranty

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe so yeah. Guy I go to Is someone I know so maybe he knocks off a few quid for me and I didn't realize hahaha.

Try a regas and if this doesn't work, could be a compressor issue, I really don't know air cons too well but it could be a good opportunity at that point to bring in your warranty
Yep it's the route I'm going down. As I've already made a couple of successful claims on the ext warranty. So it's more than paid for itself, so far. It's not as easy as just servicing a modern vauxhall nowadays, there's a lot of other costs associated with unreliability issues.
The R1234YF gas is a hell of a lot more expensive than the old R134a stuff
I know, rip off :ROFLMAO:
Think I'd sit in my car today to cool off, if only my Aircon was working :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
950 Posts
@Valer The local garage that did my service recently charge £60 for R134A or £100 for R1234YF. They mention that on vehicles manufactured after 2017, you have to use the R1234YF so do we know which one the Astra K uses?

Reactions: Boroboy
1 - 20 of 47 Posts