Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Astra is now four years old I have owned it for two years runs well no problems. Air con has never been serviced still blows cold air. I was wondering if it was about time that I should get the air con serviced or just regassed. Looked at Vauxhall dealer and Kwik fit cost of regas about the same.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm gonna "piggy-back" on this thread gse as I would like to know if there is a recommended Air Con service schedule.

·
Registered
168 Posts
An air con system in good condition can lose roughly 10% of its refrigerant every year so at 4 years old i would say it doesn't need a regas as for servicing i wasn't aware the system needed specific servicing, the refrigerant contains lubricant which looks after the system (seals etc)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The system has a low pressure switch so theoretically it should shut itself down if it gets really low on gas.

Mine is 5 years old, i have had it for nearly 3 years so doubt the previous owner had it serviced, and mine still blows cold air even with no service.

I have changed the pollen/cabin filter though.

Honestly, i think, most of the time, these aircon services are a bit of a ripoff....They take it in, empty the system and then weigh out how much gas has escaped, but honestly, if it looses 10%, it's probably not gonna do a lot to the performance of the system.

I have no intention of having mine serviced, as long as it sounds ok and as long as it can easily cool the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No point interfering with the refrigerant side of the aircon unless it is obviously not cooling enough, or not at all. Regular use, even during the winter months, ensures the system will continue to work as it should. There is nothing in this part of the system that degrades or requires regular replacement.

The only possible worthwhile part of these air con services is cleaning the evaporator to remove bad odours present using some sort of spray or fogger - these can be brought from motor factors to DIY if your are so inclined.

Pollen filter change is usually also included - this should be done on the regular servicing anyway!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regular use, even during the winter months, ensures the system will continue to work as it should.
A very good point, a lot of people don't realise you have to use the system regularly in winter as well as in summer as the refrigerant has a lubricant in it which stops the seals drying out.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
VX SRI NAV said:
Regular use, even during the winter months, ensures the system will continue to work as it should.
A very good point, a lot of people don't realise you have to use the system regularly in winter as well as in summer as the refrigerant has a lubricant in it which stops the seals drying out.
Something I know I should do but never do. Just habit putting heater on and away you go , never think about the air con in winter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Something I know I should do but never do. Just habit putting heater on and away you go , never think about the air con in winter.
You would be amazed how many people think you only use the air con on cold they haven't a clue you can use it with the heat side temperatures on the dial and using it in this manner speeds up demisting.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
VX SRI NAV said:
You would be amazed how many people think you only use the air con on cold they haven't a clue you can use it with the heat side temperatures on the dial and using it in this manner speeds up demisting.
Agree I've done the demisting before with air con and it's great but through habit I just use demist button.

·
Registered
854 Posts
LADmachining said:
Regular use, even during the winter months, ensures the system will continue to work as it should. There is nothing in this part of the system that degrades or requires regular replacement.
Both my K's are the first cars I've ever owned with a/c. I just leave it on all the time as I remember seeing a few posts (on the Opcom forum iirc) that said keep using it every so often even in winter to help keep the seals in good nick so seeing as my car doesn't really get that much use, I leave it set to auto and just adjust the temp. in the colder months - seems to work fine.

Sure I've seen it somewhere (on this forum) that the system automatically runs it every so often anyway for the very same purpose ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I wouldn't advise running the A/C on all the time as it'll burn more fuel to run it. I always turn the A/C on when going down steep hills as it is running for free then and is being used as stated above (to lubricate seals).

·
Registered
854 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And I thought I was a tight git Yorkshireman :mrgreen:

Reactions: RobG

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've noticed no difference between my fuel consumption with my aircon on or off, consider myself to generally to be a fugal driver, but for some strange reason I don't keep mine on all of the time either, unless it's belting hot or I want to demist the car. Maybe because I'm a daft, tight northerner :lol: :lol: Prob down to force of habit too.
Just remembered I put mine on at Christmas day for a treat :lol:
I remember the days cars didn't have PAS, never mind aircon.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Pompeydave said:
VX SRI NAV said:
This is where it is nice to have a climate control system instead.

As long as you leave it on auto, it will still run the aircon pump once in a while for a few seconds to circulate the coolant and oil to prevent the o-ring seals drying out.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Crosseyxpower said:
I wouldn't advise running the A/C on all the time as it'll burn more fuel to run it. I always turn the A/C on when going down steep hills as it is running for free then and is being used as stated above (to lubricate seals).
This is just like listeling to my dad.

He would also rather drive the car for 10 miles before the rear window de-iced itself from the heating in the cabin, than using the window heater.

His reasoning being, that the heater used power and thus it used petrol.

Also he was the type that always slowed down WELL in advance before the traffic light, even if it was green, because he would then not have to use the brakes as much....Much to the annoyance of the queue of cars behind him, doing 15 miles per hour for 100 meters before the light.

When it then changed to red, he would say "See i was right, we would have had to use the brakes and stop anyway".....And no amount of "Had you continued doing 40 the whole way, you would have not had to stop at all because the light would not have turned red until after you cleared the lights" would do any good.

Another advantage of climate control, it adjusts the compressor to only use whatever power is needed to keep the cabin cooled.

·
Registered
854 Posts
astraowner said:
As long as you leave it on auto, it will still run the aircon pump once in a while for a few seconds to circulate the coolant and oil to prevent the o-ring seals drying out.
This is where my lack of knowledge re: aircon shows up :lol: Mine has an auto setting (what I leave it on all the time) so I presume I've got climate control ? I didn't realise there was a difference tbh :oops: Previous vehicles have either been very basic cars (30 years ago) or 2 x Combo vans and none of them have had aircon. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Crosseyxpower said:
True, but it will take a long time to burn the same amount of fuel that an air-con regas will cost (especially as the refrigerant used in the Astra-K is at least double the cost of standard R134a refrigereant used on older vehicles).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sure I've seen it somewhere (on this forum) that the system automatically runs it every so often anyway for the very same purpose ?
I wasn't aware it did that to be honest i would do it manually for peace of mind as i always have.

A lot of drivers switch the air con off as they think it will use a lot more fuel but as explained below open windows will also lower your fuel economy, i would happily lose 8 - 10% to be comefortable in summer why buy a car with ait con if you don't intend to use it due to the cost of doing so.

Does air con use more fuel?
Despite many believing this is a common misconception, air con does in fact increase your fuel consumption. Research has found that by using your air conditioning to control the climate of your vehicle, you can actually increase your fuel consumption by around 8-10%.

Air con vs open windows
Although air conditioning increases your fuel consumption, driving with your windows open can also lead to a reduce in fuel efficiency. This is because the air from the window creates a 'drag' for the vehicle, meaning the engine must work harder to pull the vehicle due to the resistance created by the open window.

So, which is more fuel efficient - opening your windows, or using your air conditioning? Research suggests that you should base it on the speed you're travelling. For example:

Travelling at speeds of 50mph or less - in this instance, it's more economical to open your windows. This is because running the air conditioning at this low engine speed creates an extra demand, so therefore opening windows is the best option.
Travelling at speeds over 50mph - in this instance, it's more economical to use the air conditioning system. This is because the drag from opening your windows will have more resistance at high speeds, so it's more beneficial to use the air conditioning system.

https://www.ptagarages.co.uk/blog/does-air-con-use-more-fuel/130

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Shaky said:
astraowner said:
This is where my lack of knowledge re: aircon shows up :lol: Mine has an auto setting (what I leave it on all the time) so I presume I've got climate control ? I didn't realise there was a difference tbh :oops: Previous vehicles have either been very basic cars (30 years ago) or 2 x Combo vans and none of them have had aircon. :D
If it has the set temperature inside the dials, then, yes it is the dual zone climate control version you have, this should automatically run the pump even if it does not need to cool the interior in winter.

Just keep it it "ON" and keep the A/C on as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad I read this thread. I only ever use the AC when it's REALLY hot because I thought it would run out within a few months and need refilled (and I live in Scotland too)! I generally like driving with the windows down so everyone I pass can enjoy my Van Halen and Slayer albums as much as I do, but from now on I'll use the aircon way more often :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts