Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The fairing of the B-pillar is attached only with clips. Here some more pictures . I had completely forgotten that. They are still from the ambient lighting B-pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since I am not an electrician and a complete amateur... This will be one bad looking job. Let's hope it works.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Fixture Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was planning to do it under / over the plug like you showed (green line) cause its much easier. I would have done it like the red line shows if I had the right tools to wire everything in. I have however thought of an idea where the wire can be disconnected in B pillar, right under the other plug.

I've managed to pull the cable through after a lot of swearing cause it wasn't going well but I did it. Cable is fed through the rubber and under the plug. Looks nice and clean as if it's normal factory fitted wiring.

In the door I've put the cable in a rubber washing machine hose/pipe (I didn't know what else to use to keep the cable secure. Don't laugh lol) and attached it to the door with a cable/zip tie (had to drill 2 tiny holes).

Now to feed the wire from the metal part of the door to the plastic trim where the light is, I've decided I won't re-insert one of the plastic rivets/clips and instead feed the cable through the hole that the rivet would go through. As it's between 2 screws it should still be nice and tight!

I haven't put the trim back on the door yet as I've ran out of time today. School run and now it's dark. I'll be working some night shifts now so I'll spent my days in bed but when I'm off in 5 days, I'll be right back at it doing the right rear door, preparing wires for the front etc.

I've taken plenty of pictures but they are too big to attach here. I'll post them later.

It's a pretty easy project but when it's the first time you've ever done something on a car, it can be stressful, especially with all those little clips that can break. Rico, thanks for helping me get this far haha.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Rico,

Im working on the passenger door, or I'm trying to... How did you get to the rubber to pull the cable through? I have so much wiring here for the airbags and everything else. If drivers door is the same it's gonna be a hassle.

Any advice?

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Electricity Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hey, green arrow, remove rubber, remove plug behind it. Red arrow, remove the foam. I would lay the cable from outside to inside. Is probably easier or you take something thin and long and attach the cable to it and pull it through it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rico76 said:
It was time again for a small mod. Have the windows switch front and rear changed. Fits better than the chrome gluing applications. Also, my Center console chubby hole got some light.
Switches looks good. Where did you get them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rico76 said:
Hello iavorid , there are actually two remote controls. Once that of Audi 8N0 959 719 and that of the gate is from BFT. The remote control from the gate gets the power from the interior light, no battery needed. The cables are soldered to the interior light and remote control. On the remote control of Audi, I have removed all electrical connections to the buttons. Cable from the push-button input Remote control Gate to the push-button Input Audi and solder to the push-buttons. Insert cable from pushbutton output Audi to pushbutton Gate output and solder. The illumination of the buttons is red at Audi, so does not fit to Vauxhall. I removed the three LEDs and drilled a two millimeter hole in those places. In the holes I have light guides mounted and glued. I then connected the light guides to the existing light guides of the interior light. As a result, the light intensity and color is the same as the button interior light. Then the functional LED of the remote control gate with light guide connected to the function LED of the Audi remote control. That was my solution now. The green circle shows the location of the connection of the light guide for the remote control. Unfortunately I have not taken any pictures of the installation. Hope it is understandable.
How did you remove the interior light box, with onstar and the lights?

·
Registered
118 Posts
lhb said:
Rico76 said:
Hello iavorid , there are actually two remote controls. Once that of Audi 8N0 959 719 and that of the gate is from BFT. The remote control from the gate gets the power from the interior light, no battery needed. The cables are soldered to the interior light and remote control. On the remote control of Audi, I have removed all electrical connections to the buttons. Cable from the push-button input Remote control Gate to the push-button Input Audi and solder to the push-buttons. Insert cable from pushbutton output Audi to pushbutton Gate output and solder. The illumination of the buttons is red at Audi, so does not fit to Vauxhall. I removed the three LEDs and drilled a two millimeter hole in those places. In the holes I have light guides mounted and glued. I then connected the light guides to the existing light guides of the interior light. As a result, the light intensity and color is the same as the button interior light. Then the functional LED of the remote control gate with light guide connected to the function LED of the Audi remote control. That was my solution now. The green circle shows the location of the connection of the light guide for the remote control. Unfortunately I have not taken any pictures of the installation. Hope it is understandable.
How did you remove the interior light box, with onstar and the lights?
You just pull it down and it comes out. It's held by 4 clips. 2 towards the back (where the OnStar button is) and 2 towards the front where the microphone / alarm sensor button is. Unfortunately those are the only 2 pictures that I have.

Start by pulling it down from where the clips are visible on the picture below instead of where the OnStar buttons are. You need to use some force to pull it off (don't worry, you won't break the clips as they are metal).

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive mirror

Microphone Hood Audio equipment Wire Event

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vayerr said:
You just pull it down and it comes out. It's held by 4 clips. 2 towards the back (where the OnStar button is) and 2 towards the front where the microphone / alarm sensor button is. Unfortunately those are the only 2 pictures that I have.

Start by pulling it down from where the clips are visible on the picture below instead of where the OnStar buttons are. You need to use some force to pull it off (don't worry, you won't break the clips as they are metal).

InkedIMG_20200204_045927_LI.jpg
abd.jpeg
thanks for the feedback. My idea is to place a 12V to 5V DC stepdown converter on the backside and take 12V from the roof lights. My camera is powered with 5V using a USB micro connector. Input current is 1,5A

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I have no link to it. These switches have been available at Cadillac since 2014. I ordered mine through eBay in the USA. I can't tell you how the current offers are there. I had ordered two driver switch units.
The switches must then be removed from the Cadillac unit and installed in the Astra unit. Search on eBay USA window switch Cadillac 14.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts