Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
First of all though check the crankshaft end float is within spec 0.15–0.38mm,
excess end float can be the cause of those codes throwing up together,it's easy to check and would be my first port of call
Did they check the endfloat ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I copied your post into my email to them when I was suggesting that they needed to carry out these diagnostics. I assume that they did them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
OP here with update:

Indie have had another look and cannot actually pin the problem down. Their suspicion is that is an oil pressure problem triggering the sensors, but the oil pressure checks out.

Now it gets interesting: they suspect that there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine and recommend I take it to Vauxhall and look at the possibility of an engine overhaul or replacement.

With such low mileage (20K) I might be able to argue that Vauxhall stump up for that; I might not.

Chatting to a friend of a friend who sells used cars he says he won't touch Corsas/Astras with the 1.0 ecotec as they are "trouble".

So, what do we think? I researched the car before I bought it last year and didn't find any reported issues with this engine but does anyone know differently?
There are def faults with the corsa 1.0 but not so many for the astra 1.0. Occasional LSPI coming up for this model. Far more reliable than the 1.4t for faults . Sending into VX could land you with a huge bill / hassle. No guarantees they will stump up any £££ , once they start stripping things down the bill goes up and up so be wary of that before you proceed .Sounds like the indie has given up / can’t find problem so it def needs to be taken somewhere else .

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
OP here with update:

Indie have had another look and cannot actually pin the problem down. Their suspicion is that is an oil pressure problem triggering the sensors, but the oil pressure checks out.

Now it gets interesting: they suspect that there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine and recommend I take it to Vauxhall and look at the possibility of an engine overhaul or replacement.

With such low mileage (20K) I might be able to argue that Vauxhall stump up for that; I might not.

Chatting to a friend of a friend who sells used cars he says he won't touch Corsas/Astras with the 1.0 ecotec as they are "trouble".

So, what do we think? I researched the car before I bought it last year and didn't find any reported issues with this engine but does anyone know differently?
Relatively speaking the 1.0t seems reliable, well certainly going from the majority of posts we've had on here.
As you've already had it serviced by an I dependent, it's out of manufacturers warranty, I doubt you'd get anywhere with regards to a goodwill gesture on any engine repair from Vauxhall/Stellantis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Relatively speaking the 1.0t seems reliable, well certainly going from the majority of posts we've had on here.
As you've already had it serviced by an I dependent, it's out of manufacturers warranty, I doubt you'd get anywhere with regards to a goodwill gesture on any engine repair from Vauxhall/Stellantis.
Thanks, yes warranty expired in 2021. I suspect that you are right about no goodwill gesture.
Bit of a conundrum really: it drives perfectly okay (even when the "reduced power to engine" message comes on it doesn't seem to actually reduce power). The engine light has only come on twice. I could ignore it....

On the other hand, if I book it into Vauxhall they may find a simple fix (seems unlikely, the indie has a good reputation.)...

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Thanks, yes warranty expired in 2021. I suspect that you are right about no goodwill gesture.
Bit of a conundrum really: it drives perfectly okay (even when the "reduced power to engine" message comes on it doesn't seem to actually reduce power). The engine light has only come on twice. I could ignore it....

On the other hand, if I book it into Vauxhall they may find a simple fix (seems unlikely, the indie has a good reputation.)...
Personally I'd want it running right, as obviously you do.
So if the ECU light is not on, you are not happy with the car, you could theoretically part ex it or possibly take a chance on it with vauxhall. They'll charge you £120 for the initial diagnostic, then go from there. Not an easy choice to make.
Knowing what they've been like of late with regards to good will gestures out of warranty and independent servicing. I doubt they'd offer you anything, unfortunately.
Going from what I've experienced over recent years, if you do buy another new'ish car, vauxhall or not, I'd purchase an manufacturers extended warranty, unfortunately you'd then have to pay for dealer servicing costs, on top, too. So swings and roundabouts I'm afraid. As modern cars are becoming more complex, harder to diagnose and more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Did they check the endfloat ?
I copied your post into my email to them when I was suggesting that they needed to carry out these diagnostics.
I assume that they did them.
I'd ask them specifically if it was checked and how much movement was there,
i'm sure you know the saying about assumptions being the mother of all f---ups.
Once that is confirmed as ok/out of spec you can move on

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sadly all this boils down to money , garages want quick turnarounds on jobs these days & anything that gets to be a here it comes again car quickly becomes a take it somewhere else car as they don’t want to get bogged down with it as it affects their profits & too many cars like that soon get to be a money losing situation. Much better if they were honest about that from day 1 , my local garage doesn’t get involved with electrics anymore other than replacing broken wiring they find & fix , they’ve had too many cars in the past that really needed the time spending on them that they haven’t had due to other more easily diagnosed & fixed jobs sitting outside piling up. As Valer says you do need an accurate diagnosis of what’s causing the fault , don’t want to replace an engine that didn't need replacing though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@Hector Hound - I agree. The problem I have with main dealers is that (in my experience) they tend to just replace bits until they hit the problem component. I had a wonderful indie when I had a Jag and they were all about getting to the bottom of the problem.

I assume that an indie will have access to the full diagnostic electronics that a main dealer does, but maybe the technicians don't have the in depth knowledge (unless they are recently ex-MD).

I will go back to the garage and ask about the end float movement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Reply from garage: they didn't check engine float measurement as "that would require further engine dismantling". As I had told them I was not prepared to pay for their second look at it after (wrongfully in my opinion) replacing the sensors I suppose that limited what they were prepared to do!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
A pry bar between the crank pulley and front cover should give you an idea of the amount of movement,
no need to dismantle anything

Reactions: Boroboy
41 - 52 of 52 Posts