Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Apologies, I have found the invoice for the work and it was camshaft sensors.

The codes I got were from my (cheap) OBDII reader, I guess the garage would have more detail with Vauxhall-specific diagnostics.
I would personally get a compression test done on the engine if no codes are showing. Those figures on mpg and power are not right with this engine. This engine can suffer lspi which could be the case for all symptoms reported or a head gasket possibly but not likely. I would personally pay for the compression test to be performed to rule out this first.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Apologies, I have found the invoice for the work and it was camshaft sensors.

The codes I got were from my (cheap) OBDII reader, I guess the garage would have more detail with Vauxhall-specific diagnostics.
It's a shame you don't have the actual codes,
i've seen a few now where cam sensors have been changed whereas the codes are for cam solenoids/actuators/cam position performance etc and generally nothing to do with the sensors.
Problems with the camshafts desired vs the actual positions will cause lack of power and i'm fairy sure will also reduce the turbo boost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:

I have found the paper I wrote the codes on:
P0011 "A” Camshaft Position – Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
P0014 "B” Camshaft Position – Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance

Wife has just returned from Wales. 476 miles round trip at 47.6mpg. That is much better MPG and was done with the engine light on and apparently "Restricted power to engine". She says the car is driving normally though.

Pulled the codes now that she has returned and they are exactly the same as before! (Plus P0014 stored).

On the phone to the garage tomorrow first thing; obviously not happy that they appear to have raced to replace perfectly good camshaft sensors without doing other diagnostics. I mean, would two sensors fail at the same time anyway? Seems illogical to me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Those codes are exactly the ones i was referring to in my post 22 and are usually nothing to do with the cam sensors,rather it's the desired vs actual or relative camshaft positions.
DTC P0011, P0014 Desired Camshaft Position & Camshaft Position = Not within 8° of each other for greater than 30 s
The garage need to run live data output tests on the cam solenoids and phasers including checking the oil pressure and also checking for oil passage blockages.
First of all though check the crankshaft end float is within spec 0.15–0.38mm,
excess end float can be the cause of those codes throwing up together,it's easy to check and would be my first port of call

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Is this the same Vauxhall Indie you had it serviced at ?
if so they should have all the info they need to diagnose it correctly

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes, but also the same indie that diagnosed it incorrectly and fitted two new camshaft sensors!
That was my point,you really shouldn't be having to ask for help on a forum when the garage should have been able to easily work out what needs looking at for themselves with a look at the diagnostic for those codes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Totally agree. It seems to me that the camshaft position sensors were doing their job and reporting a problem with camshaft position. The garage appears to have concluded the sensors must be faulty! Benefit of the doubt: maybe they checked out all the camshaft possibilities, found nothing wrong and concluded the sensors must be faulty....

I will speak to them shortly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Car booked in for 14th for investigation. I have suggested that the sensors were replaced unnecessarily and they have taken that on board and will investigate if that was the case. I will report back with update after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 1.0t at present (90% local running) on trip B is showing 37.8mpg, average speed 19.6mph
(re-set last December)
Are you running it with the 0w20 Vx oil,tyre pressures not too low ?
Didn't the recommended oil for the 1.0t get changed from dexos2 (which was 0w20) to dexos1.2 which only comes in 5w30 as far as I am aware? or was this for other engines?

I own a 1.0t Astra K to, and been looking at other peoples experience as since it had its recent mini service the mpg has improved a fair bit for me, from the low 40's to mid 40's (I use a app on my phone to track every drop of petrol spent and always fully fill so it calculates the mpg for me) and trying to understand why what is just a oil change made such a difference

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Didn't the recommended oil for the 1.0t get changed from dexos2 (which was 0w20) to dexos1.2 which only comes in 5w30 as far as I am aware? or was this for other engines?
The mandatory oil for the LE1 engines (and some others)
changed from dexos 1-2 5w30 to OV0401547 0W20 back in 2020
post 135

·
Registered
7 Posts
The mandatory oil for the LE1 engines (and some others)
changed from dexos 1-2 5w30 to OV0401547 0W20 back in 2020
post 135
Thank you - am I correct in that dexos 2 is not recommended at all? I will need to speak to evans halshaw as on my invoice it said 0w20 was used yet in the service book its written 5w30!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No definitely not dexos 2,
that's typical dealer,no one pays attention,just a "that'll do" attitude it's just another car,
then when you sell it you get loads of questions about the service history :censored:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you - at the time when I was picking it up, he lost interest in me when I said I was'nt interested in upgrading to a newer car, says it all!

Was only trying to keep it with a Vaux service history until the 6 year body warranty runs out then I'll be going independent/doing it myself - used to own the first generation Mazda 3 which had poor sealing of the bodywork resulting in rusty wings so a bit cautious of that sort of thing, that said cant see any body issues with the Astra for rust, paint quality is another matter...!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Panel rust hasn't been a real issue on Vauxhalls for a few years now,
however the track record on front suspension frames has been ongoing on several models since the Astra G,
the Corsa D has been bad with foc replacements being done for up to 10 years.
Now the paint quality is a pain, it stonechips so easily,:censored:
i reckon my neighbours must wonder why i keep running out and cleaning bird droppings off but when you see the marks left from before i owned the car i reckon it's justified.:coffee::coffee:

·
Super Moderator
2,056 Posts
Thank you - at the time when I was picking it up, he lost interest in me when I said I was'nt interested in upgrading to a newer car, says it all!

Was only trying to keep it with a Vaux service history until the 6 year body warranty runs out then I'll be going independent/doing it myself - used to own the first generation Mazda 3 which had poor sealing of the bodywork resulting in rusty wings so a bit cautious of that sort of thing, that said cant see any body issues with the Astra for rust, paint quality is another matter...!
As @Valer has said rust is not normally an issue with Vauxhall's now. The only reason I keep my dealer servicing up is because I have their extended warranty, to which I've now made a couple of claims on, so up to now it's more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
OP here with update:

Indie have had another look and cannot actually pin the problem down. Their suspicion is that is an oil pressure problem triggering the sensors, but the oil pressure checks out.

Now it gets interesting: they suspect that there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine and recommend I take it to Vauxhall and look at the possibility of an engine overhaul or replacement.

With such low mileage (20K) I might be able to argue that Vauxhall stump up for that; I might not.

Chatting to a friend of a friend who sells used cars he says he won't touch Corsas/Astras with the 1.0 ecotec as they are "trouble".

So, what do we think? I researched the car before I bought it last year and didn't find any reported issues with this engine but does anyone know differently?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts