Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just read on another post where someone has stated that the correct oil for the 1.6t is dexos1 gen2,but I have always understood that dexos2 is the recommended oil for this particular engine with no history of lspi issues.as my car is soon due a service does anyone have a definitive answer?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My understanding is that it's definitely still Dexos 2 spec oil for the 1.6T. That also used to be the case for the 1.4T, of course, until later advice promulgated Dexos 1 Gen 2 after problems with some of the engines. I certainly haven't heard that Dexos 1 is now recommended for the 1.6T as well.

I'll email Vauxhall's tech dept and investigate; they got back to me pretty quickly when I wanted to confirm the grade of oil I was intending to use (ie, if 0W/40 was OK).

Anyway, thanks for raising this!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you look at the latest edition of the owners manual, you will see that the recommended oil for all gasoline engines is dexos1 gen2. At least that is the case for opel Turkish august 2017 versions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In march 2017 you have an opel bulletin 17-E-3319 say to use DEXOS1 gen2 oil in all direct injection engine to prevent lspi problems, this bulletin was changed on 26 october 2017 and they add also the 1.6 SIDI engine.

1.6 sidi engine is very popular in Russia and they had a lot of broken engine with piston issue.

When you go here in France to an Opel garage is really a big shame , they don't know about this Opel bulletin, they don't know the dexos1 gen2 oil and they continue to put dexos 2!

i post the officila opel bulletin (is it in french)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Moby2002 said:
Mine came from store with dexos 2...
Mine too! Furthermore, when it had its first service 10 months ago, Dexos 2 was put in again!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
polonez said:
In march 2017 you have an opel bulletin 17-E-3319 say to use DEXOS1 gen2 oil in all direct injection engine to prevent lspi problems, this bulletin was changed on 26 october 2017 and they add also the 1.6 SIDI engine.

1.6 sidi engine is very popular in Russia and they had a lot of broken engine with piston issue.

When you go here in France to an Opel garage is really a big shame , they don't know about this Opel bulletin, they don't know the dexos1 gen2 oil and they continue to put dexos 2!

i post the officila opel bulletin (is it in french)

Thanks for posting this, Polonez!

It raises some interesting points because my first service postdated that bulletin - in other words, Vauxhall / Opel put in the wrong oil, ie, Dexos 2!!

I spoke to the service manager at my local dealership today and he felt that, whilst Dexos 1 Gen 2 was now obligatory for the 1.4T, it wasn't crtitical for the 1.6T, despite what you cited about the Russian experiences. In other words it was 'advisory' and introduced as a precaution because of the 1.4T issues. That was only his opinion, however!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the 1.6T and bought Dexos 2 oil I contacted the Vauxhall Superstore and they recommended Dexos 2 5w-30 most Vauxhall cars use this Spec of oil petrol and diesel.Iv also used 5W-40 Dexos 2 The 1.6T takes approximately 5.5 litres

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Lock-N said:
I had the 1.6T and bought Dexos 2 oil I contacted the Vauxhall Superstore and they recommended Dexos 2 5w-30 most Vauxhall cars use this Spec of oil petrol and diesel.Iv also used 5W-40 Dexos 2 The 1.6T takes approximately 5.5 litres
Yep, indeed, that was the impression I was under!

According to this new directive, though, even the 1.6T is now supposed to have Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil (as with the 1.4T) and this was confirmed by my dealer today...................

·
Registered
11 Posts
cooldad said:
Lock-N said:
Yep, indeed, that was the impression I was under!

According to this new directive, though, even the 1.6T is now supposed to have Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil (as with the 1.4T) and this was confirmed by my dealer today...................
Cooldad on russian forum they spoke about this big problem in around 120 forum pages : http://www.opel-insignia.su/index.php?showtopic=7501&st=1800.

when you ask to the dealer about this official opel bulletin they pretend do not know the problem. This bulletin is available for consultation by all opel dealer on opel TIS, It is just necessary to have the will to connect to the opel tis.
About dexos1gen2 most of dealers don't know about this oil, why??.Because dealer have the lazinest to connect on the opel TIS, so he can not know about the new oil specification.
When i was for my service, my dealer of course dosen't know about the new oil specification and about the bulletin. He told me that he buys cans of 200 liters of dexos 2 and that for little of gasoline car sold , he is not going to invest for dexos1 gen 2 oil!. I said to the dealer that in case of broken engine it was his responsibility and that the customers could take him to court.

photos about broken piston :

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks like I will need to return the 5 litre bottle of Dexos 2 0w40 oil I picked up for the car being serviced. Oh well. At least I got a decent oil discount on my service price for the car when I mentioned I was going to supply my own oil

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The latest manual has only reiterated what's in mine and merely substituted Dexos1 Gen 2 for Dexox 2.

For example, it quotes grades of oil (eg, 0W/40, 5W/40), which simply aren't available (as yet) in Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec oils.

If you look in this thread: https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2855&p=34542#p34542

Andrew12308 kindly posted a link to a list of all the oils presently meeting the new Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec. If you study it carefully, all the manufacturers quoted only supply either 5W/30 or 0W/20 grades. The one exception that I can find is Exxon Mobil, they at least do a 0W/30, which is what I'd like to use at my next service. Having said that, I cannot yet source it commercially here in the UK.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
EvilScotsman said:
Looks like I will need to return the 5 litre bottle of Dexos 2 0w40 oil I picked up for the car being serviced. Oh well. At least I got a decent oil discount on my service price for the car when I mentioned I was going to supply my own oil
Yep, me too, mate!

I really want to use a 0W/* oil of some sort for my next service and, as I said in my other post, only Mobil appear to do a 0W/30 to the Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec. Trouble is, I can't find a supplier :eek: :? :shock: Email to Exxon-Mobil, methinks!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
polonez said:
Cooldad on russian forum they spoke about this big problem in around 120 forum pages : http://www.opel-insignia.su/index.php?showtopic=7501&st=1800.

when you ask to the dealer about this official opel bulletin they pretend do not know the problem. This bulletin is available for consultation by all opel dealer on opel TIS, It is just necessary to have the will to connect to the opel tis.
About dexos1gen2 most of dealers don't know about this oil, why??.Because dealer have the lazinest to connect on the opel TIS, so he can not know about the new oil specification.
When i was for my service, my dealer of course dosen't know about the new oil specification and about the bulletin. He told me that he buys cans of 200 liters of dexos 2 and that for little of gasoline car sold , he is not going to invest for dexos1 gen 2 oil!. I said to the dealer that in case of broken engine it was his responsibility and that the customers could take him to court.

photos about broken piston :

Thanks for this, Polonez. My Russian isn't that good, but I understood a lot of what was said (i'll use Google Translate when I have another look).

Those pictures are pretty worrying! :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yup, still D1G2 for the 1600 (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts