Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
bojo said:
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
I am sure vauxhall fixed this issue before the 17 reg came out

·
Registered
917 Posts
GRAHAMY09 said:
bojo said:
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
Not sure about that,they only introduced the additional tensioner gasket modification in late 2020

Reactions: Hector Hound

·
Registered
30 Posts
Valer said:
GRAHAMY09 said:
bojo said:
Not sure about that,they only introduced the additional tensioner gasket modification in late 2020
Well when i said fixed i meant to say they redesigned the tensioner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I'm sure now it's definitely making the chain rattle on start up not all the time I admit and briefly though the other day it was parked facing up hill and I swear it was a lot noisier than normal . That's why I'd like to have it sorted asap while it just started to make the noise .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer before . I would like to just install the updated for the tentioner as I said it only makes the noise for very few seconds and sometimes it doesn't at all . Not sure why the other day I left it facing on an uphill incline and it was louder and longer than normal . Do you think that's significant ?
Thanks .

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
bojo said:
Sorry I didn't answer before . I would like to just install the updated for the tentioner as I said it only makes the noise for very few seconds and sometimes it doesn't at all . Not sure why the other day I left it facing on an uphill incline and it was louder and longer than normal . Do you think that's significant ?
Thanks .
During my earlier 1.6d K owning days (2016 plate), I had no rattle during start up for the first year of ownership. Then one morning it started to rattle during every cold start (couldn't miss it), then shortly after that it started to intermittently rattle during warm & cold start ups. It was slowly becoming progressive. I then decided to sell the car (part ex it). At that time there was no warranty fix, just the usual "it's a characteristic of the engine", which I new it wasn't. I'd install the update now if I was experiencing the early stages of this issue if I was wanting to keep the car. I just put it down to bad design, especially when you need to drop the engine to replace the timing chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valer said:
astraowner said:
Redman said:
Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.
Can you please send me that bulletin. They are not informed here in my country.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
RyanC said:
Thanks for the diy thread, where can you purchase the replacement parts and do you have the part number please. Thank you
The part number of the gasket is 55515025
You will also need to replace the injectors washers and cam cover gasket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm the owner of an Opel Mokka 1.6 cdti with the same horrible timing chain noise.
I want to install (DIY) the gasket and replace the chain tensioner, but I can't find any repair manual for this engine.
Could anybody please send me the #14-E-3168 repair bulletin or, if available, any service instructions?
I need the torque specs for reinstalling the bolts that are removed during this repair.

Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hello,

I'm the owner of an Opel Mokka 1.6 cdti with the same horrible timing chain noise.
I want to install (DIY) the gasket and replace the chain tensioner, but I can't find any repair manual for this engine.
Could anybody please send me the #14-E-3168 repair bulletin or, if available, any service instructions?
I need the torque specs for reinstalling the bolts that are removed during this repair.

Thank you!
Sorry for late reply, pme and I can send you instructions and tipa how to change it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello myukjob85 , do you know if have new revision of sprockets, guides and oil pump chain ?
And other questions- my car is on 105 000 km , can I change only latest chain tensioner with new gasket and cam over gasket without timing chain ?
Or maybe timing chain already have damage?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hello myukjob85 , do you know if have new revision of sprockets, guides and oil pump chain ?
And other questions- my car is on 105 000 km , can I change only latest chain tensioner with new gasket and cam over gasket without timing chain ?
Or maybe timing chain already have damage?
I do not know if they realesed any updates for the chain guides. You can change only the tensioner and add the gasket the tutorial on this post it shows you how. If you do not have metal rattle noise when on idle ( you only have at start) than is a good chance that the chain guides are ok. The guides can be inspected with an endoscope camera when the new tensioner is installed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for answer
In forum I saw this campaign - https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=6345
Do you know if this is campaign for new tensioner and gasket or for oil pump chain ?
For me is important to know if have new revision of oil pum chain or oil pum ?
This on call recall is only for cars that has full service history to vauxhall dealer. If you do not have or have service history from a local garage they do not take in consideration. And they will only install the gasket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, but for me is interesting if have full service history on Vauxhall, what they change.
Latest chain tensioner and gasket ?
Because in this bulletin write for rattle from area of the oil pump chain during engine start.
This new tensioner and gasket is for timing chain or for oil pum chain.
Tomorrow I will order all new parts to can exchange next week .

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi myukjob85

My dealer did this modification but i hear the rattle again on cold start. Should I need to contact dealer?
Do you still hear the rattle at startup again? Mines is done in april 2021. What engine oil do you use?
Its only at startup not when running or something.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 63 Posts