Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you the owners off the 1.6 diesel engines know, there is a rattle noise from the cam chain tensioner. If left like that the chain guides will eventually fail. Vauxhall realesed a fix for this, in form of a gasket that needs to be installed to the chain tensioner in order to keep the pressure on the chain. There is a special buletin about this issue and Vauxhall install this gasket for free but they ask for a dealer service history. If you do not have you need to pay for the job and cost is £600 labor and about £100 in parts. If you are a DIY person this install can be done by yourself. You will need the service manual of the engine, a good set of tools, like halfords advanced, a set of offset ring spanners, long nose pliers, and normal pliers, a tool for removing plastic clips, torque wrench 2-25 NM, couple of small flat screwdrivers, plastic trim removal tools to use them as leverage when open the cam chain cover, some brake disk cleaner to clean old gasket from the chain cover, Also the cam cover screws will need cleaning from the old seal. Parts that needs removing: cam cover, injectors, egr and egr cooler, throttle body, ecu and ecu support cam cover. When refitted injectors new seal washers needs to be used, and the seat of the injectors needs cleaning. I found easy to clean the seat by using a cotton bud taped to a long screwdriver. Also a new rocker cover gasket need to be used. Coolant will need to be dropped. This operation is not very hard but is time consuming and is a good idea to bag and tag the screws from each component while you take it off

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Excellent,but crucially has it stopped any rattle or is this just preventative maintenance ?
good to see you've made full use of the TIS info i sent to you ;)

Reactions: Hector Hound

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
"DIY"...

99% of people will not be able to do this job DIY :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Genial bricolaje amigo.
A mí me lo hicieron en la Opel hace unos días y sin coste alguno.
Solamente comentarte que a todo lo que has aportado que también han cambiado el tensor de la correa de distribución, el cual no es el mismo que el de serie, ha cambiado el modelo.
Gracias por explicarlo tan bien.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi all, I can confirm that the noise in gone after the gasket install. And engine sounds better
Good result and good of you to take the time to take photos and help others. If I had a diesel making the noise I would attempt this DIY. I don't recall you mentioning anything about the tie wraps keeping the chain on/tensioned and remembering to remove them, unless I've missed that.
To think GM referred to this diesel engine as the whisper engine.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Spainopel said:
Genial bricolaje amigo.
Solamente comentarte que a todo lo que has aportado que también han cambiado el tensor de la correa de distribución, el cual no es el mismo que el de serie, ha cambiado el modelo.
Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Redman said:
Spainopel said:
Genial bricolaje amigo.
Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
astraowner said:
Redman said:
Spainopel said:
Genial bricolaje amigo.
Translated

I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.

Reactions: Hector Hound

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Valer said:

Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redman said:
Hi all, I can confirm that the noise in gone after the gasket install. And engine sounds better
Good result and good of you to take the time to take photos and help others. If I had a diesel making the noise I would attempt this DIY. I don't recall you mentioning anything about the tie wraps keeping the chain on/tensioned and remembering to remove them, unless I've missed that.
To think GM referred to this diesel engine as the whisper engine.
Yes forgot to specify about putting the tie wraps to keep the chain tensioned. But is is a good practice to do it and remove after install. And also check with a endoscopic camera how the guides are looking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
astraowner said:
Valer said:

Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.
When you had it open is easy to inspect the guides with an endoscopic camera, is about £25 on eurocarparts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
astraowner said:
Redman said:
Spainopel said:
Genial bricolaje amigo.
Translated

That is why this operation will only work if the noise is on start for couple of seconds. And all the parts should be checked with an endoscopic camera.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Valer said:
astraowner said:
Redman said:
Translated

That is why all guides should be checked with an endoscopic camera.

·
Registered
28 Posts
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!

·
Registered
157 Posts
bojo said:
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
If you register on the MyVauxhall website and enter the vehicle details, you should be able to access vehicle service history even before you owned it (if it was serviced at a Vauxhall dealer, of course).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any idea where I can get all the info to carry out the chain update ? as a precaution as I intend to keep my Astra for a long time like my Astra H which I have owned for 12 pretty pretty trouble free years . ( Seriously regretting changing to the K ) I always maintain and repair my cars . Not too happy to have to take it to main dealer for the breaks recall as @ the moment I can't see anything wrong with them . Oh and I have checked on the my Vauxhall site and no services shown but I trust that it has been serviced by the motability lease company my other Astra was the same this feels runs and even smelles like a new car and the price was very reasonable for a 12000 mile car .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bojo said:
Any idea where I can get all the info to carry out the chain update ? as a precaution as I intend to keep my Astra for a long time like my Astra H which I have owned for 12 pretty pretty trouble free years . ( Seriously regretting changing to the K ) I always maintain and repair my cars . Not too happy to have to take it to main dealer for the breaks recall as @ the moment I can't see anything wrong with them . Oh and I have checked on the my Vauxhall site and no services shown but I trust that it has been serviced by the motability lease company my other Astra was the same this feels runs and even smelles like a new car and the price was very reasonable for a 12000 mile car .
You want to replace the chain kit? or only to install this gasket?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts