Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise this topic has been well documented, but I found this video very descriptive with regard to lspi events within the earlier 1.4t engine. As we know vauxhall had an update back in 2018 to try and manage these events from occuring, via extra fuel being sprayed into the cylinders, prior to the normal combustion process occuring.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Nice, clear, explanatory vid Boro' (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm no scientist, but I doubt the chance of lspi occurring within this engine, even with the ecu update, newer spec oil, higher octane fuel, would ever be totally eradicated. As I'm not totally certain that Stellantis/PSA/Vauxhall engineers totally understand why this issue occurs anyway. Seems to be plenty of theories behind it, we understand what happens afterwards. Just some GDI engines seem more prone to it than others. May also be to do with higher compression & quality of parts used, including piston & rings.
No doubt time will tell, to see if any of the newer 1.4t (18 onward), engines show any future lspi damage too.
I certainly don't think Vauxhall had fully tested this engine, prior to manufacturer, if they had, then we wouldn't have seen so many failures on here.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've heard a rumour through the grapevine that Stellantis would be extending their warranties on their older 1.4t engines for free within the future due to lspi related issues. If they have a fvsh. It's not confirmed, time will tell if it happens.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've heard a rumour through the grapevine that Stellantis would be extending their warranties on their older 1.4t engines for free within the future due to lspi related issues. If they have a fvsh. It's not confirmed, time will tell if it happens.
I think they would go bust if they offered any sort of warranty on older 1.4t Lspi issued engines. Nearly always turns out to be a new / recon engine but if they did good news if a little late ( 3+ years !) .
Also the previous owners that have had to pay out £1000’s for engines may go for compensation / sue them in court. Something Stellantis would certainly not want.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think they would go bust if they offered any sort of warranty on older 1.4t Lspi issued engines. Nearly always turns out to be a new / recon engine but if they did good news if a little late ( 3+ years !) .
Also the previous owners that have had to pay out £1000’s for engines may go for compensation / sue them in court. Something Stellantis would certainly not want.
Only current cars that have a fvsh. Only what someone had mentioned to me out of the service dept.
Time will tell, no doubt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts