Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a bit concerned about the mpg. Only done 380 miles and already half way through it's second tank of petrol and showing 30 mpg pretty much all the time. :eek:
I had 2.8 V6 Audi car before last that was better on fuel than that. :lol:
Car's going in Thursday to have the fuel gauge looked at as after 20 miles from fill up its down to 3/4 full.
That said both times I've filled it up from just under 1/4 full it only took £30 so maybe the gauge is just way out.
What's everyone else getting out of the 1.4?

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 1.0T SRI is also returning concerning numbers, on general B Roadside seeing no bother than 32mpg, on the motorway I got it up to 49mpg, I reduced the air pressure from the 42 all round it had from the dealership to 32 but as my eco setting suggested 39 all round I pumped it back up but now I'm getting 28mpg, worst of all mine has had the software update for the fuel gauge issue.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the SRi 1.4 turbo 150.

We are getting indicated average of 38mpg if I drive and about 43mpg if the Mrs drives. I like the sport button!

Only filled the tank once up to now. And, unlike yours, it stayed full for prob about 50 miles before the gauge started to move.

If I add our trip and miles to empty, we should see about 400 miles from a full tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm getting about 36-38 mixed town and dusk carriageway with occasional use of the sports button. I'm hoping it will get better as the engine loosens but I don't think it's too bad for the power the car as and also as it's an auto. I would prefer a few more miles to the gallon though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm currently getting 45mpg with my 1.4/150 for the first 400 miles, even though using the sport button now and then :)

Probably taking the car for a 400 mile highway trip next weekend, will be interesting to see the consumption then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My biggest concern is that the trip computer is not reporting an accurate fuel consumption. My car reports (diesel 110HK) report 24 km/l but my manuel calculation puts it at 21 km/l.
I'm wondering if the size of the fueltank issue mentioned else where is causing the miscalculation.
I hope a software update is coming for this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As of today 3000 miles. The car indicates average fuel consumption 6.2 l/100km. But having kept every receipt from Shell, my calculations are 6.7 l/100km which is quite good alhough the majority of my driving is in M25 and not exceeding 75miles per hour.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just did a 60 mile journey and returned 52MPG in my 1.4 Sri Turbo. I used Sports Switch once for about 60 seconds. Here are some tips to test out:

1) Make sure you reset Trip Computer before going on a long drive. This will result in more accurate readings at the end of the journey. If your Trip has not been reset since you received it then reset before next 20+ mile journey.

2) Do NOT use Sports Switch if you're testing MPG. What do you think happens to result in 'sharpened throttle response'? Yes, more fuel is injected. Sports Switch will absolutely tank your MPG. Use it if you aren't bothered about fuel consumption. I use it briefly for overtake or rare 30-60mph speed zone changes.

3) Keep in mind that traffic, Stop/Start and electrical consumers will all impact on MPG. Turn off anything you are not using. Turn off heated screens, display, A/C and unplug phone if genuinely testing MPG. Unload any excess weight from vehicle. If you have spare wheel fitted again this will impact MPG.

3) Make sure you stay in optimum gear. Don't labour the engine staying in high gears up a hill. Change when the car tells you to change with the Shift Arrow. Keep in mind the Shift arrow only shows if you've not been in the right gear for a few seconds so you're already behind by a few seconds if it appears on dashboard.

4) Make sure you're using recommended 95 RON fuel recommended by the manual and not the 98 RON 'Super' Unleaded. It is possible to use it in the 1.4 Turbo but it is not recommended for good reason.

5) I urge you to visit a dealer to see if an update is available for your model reference fuel consumption. The Instrument Panel Cluster and Engine Control Unit have a discrepancy which will almost certainly interact with the Trip Computer read outs. It is not yet released as a recall/rework so your dealer staff may throw up some resistance but if you e-mail Vauxhall Customer Care they will provide email confirmation of an available update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ArcanumFox said:
Turn off anything you are not using. Turn off heated screens, display, A/C and unplug phone if genuinely testing MPG. Unload any excess weight from vehicle. If you have spare wheel fitted again this will impact MPG.
Leave that turned on. Measure MPG in *real* scenario, not some imaginary one which no one uses.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have only reset trip 2 after every fill up so can see what I'm getting. Trip 1 shows 30.1mpg and trip 2 is showing 30.7 mpg. Tried looking at the current mpg but it's up and down all over the place.
The car is dark green with leather seats so leaving the AC off isn't really an option.
It's going in Thursday to hopefully have the fuel gauge recalibrated so I'll mention the poor mpg then. The dealers had never heard of the fuel gauge been out though so not holding my breath that they will do anything.

·
Registered
856 Posts
mark said:
I have a 1.6 200 PSI Elite Nav, I am getting 38 MPG on average. that is mixed driving.
Hi

Is that real calculated or from the car trip computer? My 1.6 200 SRI Nav shows 40.6mpg on the trip computer but calculating it manually I get 34mpg.

Not had the fuel update fix as the dealer can't find it.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so just filled up again before the car went in for the fuel gauge to be recalibrated. Had done 110 miles and took 17.5 litres which works out at 29 mpg. On the 20 mile drive to the dealers though the avg mpg was up to 50 the highest it's ever been so maybe it's bedding in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kristis said:
What is your current milage?
Just under 500 miles.
Since filling up on Thursday I've done 76 miles and done over 1/4 tank already and the computers showing 35 mpg.
I mentioned it to the dealer when it went in but they said as the fuelings a sealed unit unless there was a light up on the dash they can't do anything.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts