Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone
I have been runing astra g 1.4 16v for the 18 years and it has been the best car i have had. It got to that time i need to let it go and get a new car. i was looking at astra j with 1.4 non turbo (ldd/b14xer) engine due to cost of the car. I like the astra k shape better and thinking i would be better holding on bit long and saving up for the astra k. I was looking at astra k 1.4t (lv7/b14xe) but i have seen everyone is saying keep away from it due to lspi fault. Is the lspi fault only on the lv7 1.4t engine.
I look at the 1.6t but its lot on tax. 1.0t is cheaper on tax but dont like 3 cylinder.
any advise would be good as i am stuck wot to go for.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Good morning everyone
I have been runing astra g 1.4 16v for the 18 years and it has been the best car i have had. It got to that time i need to let it go and get a new car. i was looking at astra j with 1.4 non turbo (ldd/b14xer) engine due to cost of the car. I like the astra k shape better and thinking i would be better holding on bit long and saving up for the astra k. I was looking at astra k 1.4t (lv7/b14xe) but i have seen everyone is saying keep away from it due to lspi fault. Is the lspi fault only on the lv7 1.4t engine.
I look at the 1.6t but its lot on tax. 1.0t is cheaper on tax but dont like 3 cylinder.
any advise would be good as i am stuck wot to go for.
Have you actually test drove the 1.0t engine within the Astra K? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

There's also the none turbo 1.4 engine to consider, although lacks a little grunt, but should be reliable.

If I were wanting to buy an Astra K, manual and performance and reliability were my priority, then I'd go for the 1.6t, although a little thirsty and it's advised that you use premium fuel (higher octane), which would add to it's longer term running costs.

Regards to lspi, a lot of GDI engines can suffer from this issue. Although some manufacturers seem less effected than others, probably down to a more robust engine design.

I own the 1.4t (150), engine within an auto and it's been an absolute pleasure to own so far, runs very well on supermarket E10 fuel and is very economical. I've had no signs of lspi issues so far, but I do have an extended warranty within place, just incase.

If I were looking to buy and run a car long term without a warranty in place I probably wouldn't choose this engine. Although with any modern car these days, I'd be tempted to take out an extended warranty outside of the manufacturers warranty, as there's far more to worry about these days than just the engine, as cars now are stuffed with modern tech.

If I were wanting to go for something long term, cheap to run and maintain, an easy DIY serviceable car then I'd go for an Astra J 1.6vvt (115), no egr valve, no dmf, no turbo to worry about either. Maybe on an 15 plate with low mileage and with a fsh.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
1.6t is the best engine in the line up , far fewer issues than any other engine. you say tax higher ? cant be much maybe a £10-£20 / year - absolutely nothing when you are getting the best engine. 1.0t goes really well for 105bhp and shouldn’t be dismissed. If you have read the write ups about the 1.4t and lspi then I congratulate you as a lot of potential buyers just buy a car without doing any homework and then realise after the mistake they have made. Go for the 1.6t , you won’t look back. Great mpg , goes really well , smooth engine. Insurance excellent for 200bhp.
ive owned the 1.0 + 1.6 and would go for the larger engine all day long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks every one. i think i need to have a drive of the 1.0t and the 1.6t. I did think the astra j would be better as no turbo but my lack power bit last longer. as i keep my car long time tax is something i need to think about. my astra g over the 18 years i have had it has cost me just over £3600 in tax. the 1.0t is coming up at £30 tax on auto trader if its right which would be good saving.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Valer beat me to it most are now going up to £165 .I think only the very early ones were £30 .
Also don’t just buy a car because it’s a £100 / year cheaper on tax (£2 / week) , one model could be considerably better all round than another to drive etc.

·
Super Moderator
97 Posts
1.0t is coming up at £30 tax on auto trader if its right which would be good saving.
Don't take is as gospel the tax is £30,our 1.0t is £155
Valer beat me to it most are now going up to £165 .I think only the very early ones were £30 .
Also don’t just buy a car because it’s a £100 / year cheaper on tax (£2 / week) , one model could be considerably better all round than another to drive etc.
The Vehicle tax rates are dependant on when the car was first registered, and the CO2 emissions.
My 2016 registered 1.6CDTi BiTurbo is £20.00 per year, but if it was registered on or after 1st April 2017, it would cost £165.00.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Think the Astra 1.0 was £30 up until 1st April 2017 - after that it's the flat rate which is probably about £165 now?

The 1.6T is costing me less on insurance than the 1.4T K I had so don't just go on insurance group.
Less 1.6Ts on the road = less involved in accidents = cheaper insurance risk. Daft but true.
It does recommend super unleaded (about 5p a litre more than regular) but I'm getting about as many mpg out of it as the 1.4T but that's due to the low down torque.
Only downside is £180 a year road tax now but it works out at £15.75 a month at the moment.

If the 1.6T is a bit of a stretch, have you considered an end of line 1.4T (140) Astra J? Vauxhall remapped the engine in the later ones, including the addition of an over-boost facility, and was a lot better with low down grunt than the first ones. Think that was from late 2012 onwards?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Don’t dismiss the 1.0T. This engine will leave the 1.4 n/a for dead.
Road tax is £20 not £30 and very cheap to insure.
I have owned our 65 plate from nearly new and not had to spend a penny on this car apart from servicing and usual wear and tear items. Car is now on 58k miles still returns mid 40’s around town and 60mpg on motorway.
Any questions feel free to ask here or privately

1 - 10 of 10 Posts