Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a phone call from my dealer that there is
A delay in getting my new car
1.2T Sri Nav ST due December because they is a silicon chip shortage they are way for
95 cars to be delivered
Neil

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This is why no one can buy a new Xbox or Playstation 5! I never thought it would affect cars, it's pretty wild.
Nowadays with comfort, safety and assistant features, a normal car probably have more combined processing power than a PS5.

The car is even worse than the PS5, because the PS5 uses special chips, specifically designed to the PS5 and can be used only in the PS5.

In the car, they use, maybe 50-100 individual microprocessors for a LOT of functions, and these processors are usually "generic off the shelf" products that a lot of manufacturers want to buy, so the "competition" to get them, in a market that does not produce enough, is very high, and on top of that, if the manufacturer is missing just one of these microchips, the whole car can not be completed.

I have read about manufacturers that had to fit "analog" instrument clusters to their cars, because they could not get parts for the digital "lcd screen" ones, even if the press material released about their new car, stated it would have fully digital instrumentation.

Tesla announced that they were to stop fitting the adaptive cruise control, radar unit to their "cheap" models (3, Y), and use the camera instead. Officially because they think the camera is now good enough (Which is rubbish if the weather is foggy or if you approach a broken down car in the middle of the road, with lights off and so on, in these situations the camera can not see anything, but the radar can).

Unofficially they are doing this, because they can not get enough units to fit (The S and the X, is still fitted with the radar, suggesting that the "The camera is good enough" is just an excuse).

It is going to take years before we are back to normal (If we will ever be), so if the car you drive right now is not completely worn down, it is adviseable to just hold on to it, and ride out this "storm".

Offcourse, this can all change, when the next big economical recession hits (like 2008), because the demand for new cars will drop a lot. If people have no job, they have no money for a new car.

In that case, the car producers can suddenly meet the much lower demand, and those not affected (ie, not lost their job) will be able to buy a "cheap" car, as the dealers will be "desperate" to shift some cars, to make a profit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There's a growing minority opting for cars full of less tec too, like the Sandero. I see a lot of the newer tec to be pointless and unreliable.
Although I'm personally not a Sandero fan, I can totally understand why they have a following. People wanting more basic and more reliable cars.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There's a growing minority opting for cars full of less tec too, like the Sandero. I see a lot of the newer tec to be pointless and unreliable.
Although I'm personally not a Sandero fan, I can totally understand why they have a following. People wanting more basic and more reliable cars.
The only problem, atleast as seen from someone that has the EU to decide whats what, is that a lot of the tech you don't want, is going to be mandatory.

This youtube video explains it pretty good i think.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Interesting, but there's a demand for more basic cars, this can be seen from the Sandero sales within Europe. So maybe customers would eventually have their own way too. No matter which way governments want to push us, people tend to have the final say. Especially within countries like France etc.
None of this so called recent safety tec has ever saved me from a crash, as I see it to be more of an hindrance than a help. PAS, ABS, seatbelts, airbags aside.
On the electric car front, they should be more reliable, certainly on the mechanical front.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Interesting, but there's a demand for more basic cars, this can be seen from the Sandero sales within Europe. So maybe customers would eventually have their own way too. No matter which way governments want to push us, people tend to have the final say. Especially within countries like France etc.
None of this so called recent safety tec has ever saved me from a crash, as I see it to be more of an hindrance than a help. PAS, ABS, seatbelts, airbags aside.
On the electric car front, they should be more reliable, certainly on the mechanical front.
I hope you dont live under the illusion that the individual member states of the EU has got ANYTHING to say :p

The manufacturers can not sell cars that does not meet the requirements, and the manufacturer will probably not even make cars that does not meet the standards.

As someone says in the comments to the video i linked to, when they said "Electric cars is going to meet price parity with petrol and diesel cars in the not so distant future" everyone thought it ment that the EV's would come down in price, when in fact the reason they are going to cost the same, is because the price of the petrol and diesel cars are going to go up, because of all of the required tech, and the emissions demands are going to make the cars a LOT more expensive.

How it benefits the enviroment, that we load the cars up with all sorts of tech, that is just going to make the cars more heavy, more expensive, and probably a lot more expensive to repair, in case of a crash is hard to understand.

Also all of that tech is expensive to replace, when it breaks so in the long run it is not economical to keep the car running, making for shorter life span of the car, and then we need to make even MORE cars.

But yes...A quick little public uprising would be nice, and the French have shown that they do not just bend over....The yellow vest movement was started because the french government wanted to make petrol and diesel more expensive.

I don't care very much for the french in general, but in this matter, i wish more people would react like them....If for nothing else, to remind the lawmakers and politicians, who is in charge, when it really comes down to it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I hope you dont live under the illusion that the individual member states of the EU has got ANYTHING to say :p

The manufacturers can not sell cars that does not meet the requirements, and the manufacturer will probably not even make cars that does not meet the standards.

As someone says in the comments to the video i linked to, when they said "Electric cars is going to meet price parity with petrol and diesel cars in the not so distant future" everyone thought it ment that the EV's would come down in price, when in fact the reason they are going to cost the same, is because the price of the petrol and diesel cars are going to go up, because of all of the required tech, and the emissions demands are going to make the cars a LOT more expensive.

How it benefits the enviroment, that we load the cars up with all sorts of tech, that is just going to make the cars more heavy, more expensive, and probably a lot more expensive to repair, in case of a crash is hard to understand.

Also all of that tech is expensive to replace, when it breaks so in the long run it is not economical to keep the car running, making for shorter life span of the car, and then we need to make even MORE cars.

But yes...A quick little public uprising would be nice, and the French have shown that they do not just bend over....The yellow vest movement was started because the french government wanted to make petrol and diesel more expensive.

I don't care very much for the french in general, but in this matter, i wish more people would react like them....If for nothing else, to remind the lawmakers and politicians, who is in charge, when it really comes down to it.
I agree with most of the points you've made about the French. As we know the public there are prepared to stand up for their rights. So as far as the future goes for cars, I wouldn't be so sure. Just because governments say something will happen, this doesn't necessarily mean that it would.
Without trying to go too far off topic, workers rights within France seem to be a lot stronger than here now.
As we know the Astra L won't be built within the U.K. So Vauxhall is just British by name now really. Apart from a few vans being built over here within the future. Stellantis will be manufacturing most of their cars overseas, including France & Germany. The French government had a stake within the PSA group, previously. So presumably their stake would continue on with Stellantis.
The 'Dacia Spring', seems to be a popular option within France now-

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Nissan's are just pretty ugly (*) and Nissan also seems to make the wrong decisions and hold on to them for way to long (ChaDeMo charge port, stone cold, but only just changed over to CCS)...

(*)Leaf rear end, All of the Nissan Juke (Named Nissan Joke here), just to mention a few.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nissan's are just pretty ugly (*) and Nissan also seems to make the wrong decisions and hold on to them for way to long (ChaDeMo charge port, stone cold, but only just changed over to CCS)...

(*)Leaf rear end, All of the Nissan Juke (Named Nissan Joke here), just to mention a few.
I wouldnt turn down a Nissan GTR lol
Fantastic sounding car

·
Registered
70 Posts
lol, I agree - the green car symbol that shows up on the Astra speedo when there's a car in front is extremely distracting. I keep seeing it flashing on and look away from the road to see what the light is!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
lol, I agree - the green car symbol that shows up on the Astra speedo when there's a car in front is extremely distracting. I keep seeing it flashing on and look away from the road to see what the light is!
It's even more distracting when you are on a motorway & it's raining heavily. The front camera then gets fogged up & you are continually warned that this system is now working:ROFLMAO:I just think a lot of modern cars are stuffed with some junk tech.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts