Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order an Elite trim Astra with the 1.0i ecoFLEX engine. I was attracted by the lower tax rate and better fuel economy.

I'm interested in how owners' of Astras with this size engine have found it in actual longer term use (rather than a test drive). In particular, how are people finding the car feels, performs and have you had to stick to lower gears than expected?

Any opinions on whether instead to go for the 1.4i 150PS Turbo would be most welcome before I commit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's a tough choice. The 1.4T 150PS is only £300 more than the 1.0T 105PS. I test drove the 1.0 and although it seems OK that was with just two people and fairly flat roads. I suspect it might not be so good with all 5 of us in the car and luggage or shopping in the boot.

I was a bit sceptical of the quoted mpg for the 1.0T and forum posts here confirm it is wildly optimistic. I'm sure the 1.4T falls well short of the quoted figures too but I suspect the 1.0T is less forgiving of the driver being slow to change gear which will push up the mpg proportionally more for the smaller engineer.

In the end I went for the 1.4T as I suspect the fuel economy is fairly similar for both engines but as its not arrived I can't speak from experience of having driven it. Other members are very pleased with its performance and acceleration though.

This thread has some mpg comparisons. Note Razormatt says he gets the same 43mpg from his 1.4T as 1900sr gets from his 1.0T.

Either way, they're both much better than my ageing Vectra 1.8 which i was horrified to find delivers a meagre 25mpg when I checked last week (2003 petrol engine, urban driving).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your quick replies. "What is my intended use? " is indeed a good question. Mostly driving just me around on shortish shopping errands and the occasional longer (motorway) business trip. I won't be carrying passengers often (we have a Zafira for that).

I guess I'm not overly fussed on how close the actual mpg is to the claimed mpg (though I was attracted by the lower car tax and claimed mpg) but more on how well the car performed for ordinary driving with one or two passengers (I'm not looking for a "performance" car"). I was wondering whether anyone had found it to be particularly under-powered. I'm getting the sense from posts and reviews that this is not the case.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Razormatt reckons he's averaging around 37mpg, the 43mpg was on a run, so it is a bit down on the 1.0T

I've now done 4000 miles in mine and I am more than happy with the performance of my 1.0T, it is certainly quick enough for me. I would hasten to add that it's never had more than two people in it though, so it may be a different story fully laden. I think the 1.0 is the most fuel efficient petrol, but none of them are returning anything like the book figures.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
With regard to gears, it's happy in 4th at 30mph, and 5th at 40mph and will accelerate gently from these speeds in those gears, but anything more than gentle acceleration and the car will tell you to change down.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What car is the Astra to replace?

What are the roads like where you live?

Where I live there are a couple of steep hills, which cars around 100 PS struggle to climb at the 40 mph speed limit (unless you are thrashing them in a low gear). My car will happily go up them in 4th and still has some power to spare.

It is better than my previous 2.0 CDTI 160 Insignia performance wise (both fuel economy and acceleration etc.).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 1.0T and had a 1.4T in my Astra J, so I was worried that the 1.0T would be a bit of a downgrade but I'm pleased to say that it wasn't for me.

The little 1.0T really is a great engine, it accelerates pretty well and gets up to speed with ease. I was attracted to the 1.0T over the 1.4T for the reduced tax costs and the better fuel economy,so far I have averaged 41 mpg doing mostly town driving, which I am more than happy with.

For what you've said you will use the car for, I would personally recommend the 1.0T for the same reasons that I was attracted to it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
just had a 1.0T as a courtesy car for a couple of days while the 1.6 n/a J was in for warranty work...must admit this engine is great makes me think my extra 600cc are fast asleep....this engine pulls very well. I live in a very hilly area and got to say it never struggled and even though I put the sport mode on every time I drove it, and drove it hard, it still managed 35mpg which is good therefore I would say it would easily do 40mpg if you you drove it normally...never felt I needed any extra power and on one stretch of road it hit just over 100 which is on an incline with ease...This engine is very quite, very little wind noise and very capable, I certainly will be considering this option in August when we change ours.

Got to say its the best Vauxhall I have driven in the last 20 years!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Test drove both. Liked the 1.0 with the amount of power it did have (coming from a 2.2 Ltr Saab). Drove the 1.4 on the same day. Big difference when you put the boot in on the open road. Around town not much to notice. Just made a long drive 400 miles round trip and I'm not sure the 1.0 would have coped as well - got 45 to the gal overall. If your mostly around town the 1.0 would be fine and with Stop/start it should be more eco friendly. The one thing my wife noticed sitting in the back for the test drives was that the 1.0 had a whine from the engine which the 1.4 does not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.